Changed heart rate since off xarelto

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have a fit bit HR charge which tracks heart rate. I have been wearing it for about six months and while I was on Xarelto (due to a small pulmonary embolism) my resting heart rate was around 92 bpm. Since I have been off of the Xarelto my resting heart rate is around 75. Obviously 75 is a more preferable heart rate, but I was wondering since the difference was noticed after I have been off of the Xarelto if anyone else has noticed this change in their heart rate due to the blood thinners. I am overly conscious of my heart rate because the only symptom I had of the pulmonary embolism was elevated resting heart rate of 130. I did not have any shortness of breath or symptoms of a deep vein thrombosis. Based on research I have done online this is not a documented side effect so I'm wondering if I need to worry about a sudden drop in heart rate by 20 bpm even if it is now within the normal range. I have not changed anything else such as diet or exercise but my resting heart rate has changed pretty significantly since being off the medication.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

When I had my (minor) p.e.in my left lung last January, my resting HR when i woke up in the morning was elevated in the 120bpm range for a couple of days. I also had an elevated temperature.  I was put on Rivaroxaban/Xarelto for 6 months during which time I was fine and my resting HR when i woke up returned to a more normal range ( for me ) in the sub 60 bpm range.  I'm no longer on any medicine , but I've been told if i have another p.e. then I will be put back on Rivaroxaban/Xarelto for life.    
  • Posted

Hi,

i am on the last two weeks of Xarelto. During treatment my HR settled from 100-110 bpm to between 60-80 bpm, quite the opposite from your experience. However, I will now pay attention to what happens to my HR when I stop Xarelto and let you know what occurs.

don't worry about a 20 bpm drop, your HR changes so frequently during the day depending on erergy expenditure. A healthy heart will swing between 60-100bpm without difficulty and for bursts of exercise, will exceeed 100 bpm returning to the resting state when the exercise is over. Problems occur when the HR is increased due to illness (e.g. Infection) and cannot return to the resting state. Perhaps finding out the reason why your heart beats so quickly is the key instead of assuming the Xarelto is to blame.

• Posted

I have factor V Leiden and on blood thinners. I switched to xarelto and have noticed my heart rate drop. I race bicycles and am always watching my heart rate. I try and ride in certian zones and have noticed my whole zone chart has dropped.  
  • Posted

He I have the same problem since on blood thinners my heart rate high.  I  was put on heart meds Metropolol 3 weeks ago and my rate is now 65 to 70 which is good but it's the pills doing it I have a lot of chest pain since my PE 18 mths ago and this why I am now on heart meds don't like them cause a lot of other pain in my muscles in my legs and also weekness I wondered if any body else had been put on heart meds since their PE and if yes do you have any side effects like mine My life has never been the same since my PE I am in my 70' s and feel in my 90's 

thanks 

• Posted

I am just beginning my fifth week of Xarelto.  I will be keeping an eye on my HR!  Right now it is 76 at rest.  I was diagnosed with multiple PE's in both lungs two weeks post surgery.   There is so much to watch out for, it is almost overwhelming.

• Posted

I have been off a 30 day supply of xarelto for a week. I had an admin episode from caffeine and dehydration. Anyway my hr is usually in the 60-62 range but this past week it stays between 49-53. I to have a Fitbit and am aware of what my hr usually is. Dr. Doesn't seemed worried but at times I'm exhausted. Your exact comment was what I had searched for. I was curious if this was normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.