Changed make of HRT

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello. I have been on the some make of HRT for many years and have never had any problems. Got my prescription went to pick it up and it is the same one I need but made by different company. I haven't felt well since. The one I used to have has been discontinued has anyone else had this problem? I'm even having period pains, tired and my food intolerance has got worst.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lilliepop, It shouldn't make any difference to the HRT. Can you ring your pharmacist to check with them and for your peace of mind? If you have any of the old prescriptions, check the new prescription against the old one for anything diffferent i.e different amounts of eostrogen/norethisterone.

• Posted

No but am about to go to doctors in a week time as had gel and tablets and they made me bloated I suffer very bad hot flushes so I'm getting a different sort I don't have periods as had hysterectomy

• Posted

if you still have an old pack, check the type of progesterone against the new one.  or if you don't need the progesterone, make sure its not in it.  just compare the two, they may have given you the same name but different 'ingredients' (for want of a better word for it). 

• Posted

It sounds like the new type you're using isn't giving you the same amount of estrogen.

Different forms of HRT can be absorbed or metabolised differently. I've found the gel is less effective than either the patches or the tablets (at what is supposed to be a similar level of estrogen supplementation).

Sometimes the 'carrier' chemicals, although supposedly inert, can affect some people. so, there may be a difference in chemicals, other than the hormones, that's affecting you.

From my own experience, it can be a time consuming process, determining the right form to use, at the level you need.  You may have to try a few different types til you get one that suits you again.

• Posted

Have been feeling rough last few days. I would go back to the doctor but don't want to rock the boat she really wants me of them all together. I will go to the pharmacies see what they say. I have a feeling it might be because there is lactose in the new ones but not sure about the old ones. I'm very lactos intolerant.have bad wind that is a sign.

• Posted

You could (just for quickness) google bothe Manufacturers of your HRT and compare their inredients. I had a prob with my GP last year he wanted me off my HRT (been on them since i was 52 (66 now)  I did come off for a short while, went through hell with the flushing and muscle aches etc and went back to see him and told him in a firm but polite way that my quality of life was better with HRT. The benefits outweigh the risks. My Practice has 5 GP's and some agree with HRT and some don't. Do you have just the one GP? 

• Posted

None at moment I've tried gel and tablets they don't suit me going to doctors next wed to sort a different sort

• Posted

Is anyone on low dose premiquee??? This last batch seems different! Or is it me! I have a lump on neck and very sore breasts etc. I understand they have taken it off again till next year! Is there something wrong with this batch? Anybody???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.