Changed time of taking Ramipril

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am taking 7.5mg of Rampipril which I used to take in the evening. I have now changed this to the morning before I go to work and I feel really tired around 3pm - is this a normal side effect? When I was taking it in the evening it was obviously middle of the night by the time the tablet took this effect.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I thoought taking BP meds first thing in the morning was the norm, certainly that is when I took Ramipril [now changed to Losartan].  But to answer your question; no, I don't think it is a normal side effect but you could always check the leaflet in the packet.
  • Posted

I believe that most people are advised to take their BP pills in the early morning so there must be good reason for this.  However, when starting one of my new pills, the consultant involved suggested I start them in the evening because any possible side effects would be experienced overnight meaning I wouldn't notice them.  Can't speak personally for Ramipril other than to say it didn't agree with me at all with side effects including nausea.
  • Posted

I take Bisoprolol every morning and I was taking Ramipril at night because I couldn't take it at the same time as another drug I was on.  However, I developed a cough, which is apparently a side effect of Ramipril, so no longer take it.  I was put on Bendrflumethiazide instead and that combination seems to work better for me.  My BP is more stable.

Den, if you can't take Ranipril at night, then see your GP and ask for something different.

• Posted

Im on ramipril 2.5 have been taking them for a few months now. I take mine in a morning but was advised to take them at night due to being tied by the afternoon. Tried that for a few days but found that I didn't feel right so I have gone back to taking them in a morning. To answer your question I think tiredness is a common side affect. But if ypurnot have concerns about it. I would advise you to seek advice from your GP. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Thank you all for your comments. I am going back to the Dr's Friday so will speak to him about it too. Nice to get feedback though - thanks all
  • Posted

Hi all

i went to the Doctors on Friday and he said although you can take Ramipril at any time it is better to take in the morning to keep your blood pressure low after your resting time.

I find I do get tired in the afternoon and this may be a side effect but it is not a major problem so I will see how it goes.

Thanks

Den

• Posted

Pleased to hear your news :-)... just an update on my meds im no lingering ramipril 2.5. The doctor at hospital changed them last night as they finely got down to the cause of my server dizziness problems which we thought might only be due to infection turns out it was also down to the ramipril as well. Im now on LOSARTAN POTASSIUM Tablets 50 mg. Just started them today so ill keep you uptown date on how they go.
  • Posted

Sorry just to correct the auto correct its an ear infection and im no longer on ramipril 2.5mg
  • Posted

Iv been taking Ramipril and simvastatin for the past 3 weeks for diabetis, simvastatin at night before going to bed as prescribed and ramipril between 8 and 10 in the morning. by midday  i feel completley knackered and so have an hour or so's kip, by half eleven at night I cant keep my eyes open, 2 -3 in the morning Im wide awake. last Monday morning I felt terrible took the dog out and seemed to be in a different world, I took my blood pressure and was only 96 over 80, i spent most of that day on my back. Have been taking BP regularly and its been peaking up and down.  Today I didnt take Ramipril tablet, its now 2 in the afternoon and I feel good, BP has been 120  over 84 for the past 3 hours., should i try taking them at night
    • Posted

Rick, did you mean to see that you take simvastatin for high cholesterol rather than for "diabetes"?  Simvastatin is a common drug for the treatment of high cholesterol, whereas Metformin is one of the most common drugs taken for diabetes.

I'm not surprised that you felt so poorly on Monday if your systolic blood pressure was as low as 96.  Is it usually as low as this - if so, you might need to mention this to your GP.  It's possible you may not need blood pressure lowering medication at all, or perhaps just a smaller dose of Ramipril, or even a different medication which causes less fatigue? 

Your blood pressure at 120/84 today is within the normal range but it's really to soon to expect that it will remain so after just missing Ramipril for the first time this morning.   Certainly it's generally recommended that blood pressure medication is taken first thing in the morning.  However, it may be worth trying it at night and seeing how you feel,at the same time recording your BP at home.  Importantly, don't consider just stopping taking Ramipril without speaking to your GP first.

Do let us know how you get on.

• Posted

A couple of months ago I went for an injection, the nurse took my blood pressure, it was on the high side, so she refered me to the doctor. blood pressure still slightly high, blood was taken cholesterol slightly high, liver ok, heart ok. Doc put me on tablets Metformin, Ramipril and Simvastatin. Two days later I saw another nurse she told me that as I was only just in the diabetis bracket they would try and stabilize me with diet for three months, if that didnt work I would then go on tablets. I told her I was already on tablets, she said no and looked it up on the computor. Her first reactions was to tell me to stop taking the Metformin and that i would have to carry on taking the other two which I have been doing along with a big change in my diet.I am fairly active and out at least twice a day with my springer spaniel pluse other active work. Prior to taking the tablets I felt fit and well but now I feel asthough Im getting over a good night out on the town.Today without Ramipril Iv been feeling my old self also my BP has been stable on 137 over 82. yes I will be taking it up with my GP next week

thanks for reply  Rick

• Posted

It really sounds as though you've been given a shed load of meds all at once. If you are only just in the diabetic range I'm surprised they put you straight onto Metformin rather than life style changes, i believe that is the norm. And the BP doesn't sound too bad either and only borderline high cholesterol too so a statin offered. Sounds more like your GP was ticking boxes especially where the statin was concerned. NICE is saying that a Qrisk of over 10% warrants taking a statin but not all drs agree with that. However they do have to do as Nice says rolleyes.

Are you sure your symptoms couldn't be due to the statin?

• Posted

I am taking 5mg in the morning and another 5mg at night

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.