CHANGES TO SEIZURES

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been taking Lamotrigine for about 2 months now and it has tremendously helped with my nightly seizures which they have about completely stopped. however i have noticed that now if Im going to have one still during sleep I begin to convulse for just a few seconds then its like i freeze for a minute and then its over. where i used to convulse for about 30 to 40 seconds and then go in to the full seizure and be completely unaware and they would last about 3 minutes and i would become confused, exhausted, headache and sometimes get to the point of limb paralysis and unable to speak for up to an hour.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

sorry a lil late here---so epilepsy in general is "mysterious". I got my diagnosis at age 18 in 2013--i remember this russian dr, brilliant, but she stated:

"we dont know why seizures happen, what meds will work or wont work, we dont know why meds are effective, etc." basically it was "we know nothing, but a name. we can now go through trial and error to see what meds your seizures will respond to (using the type as somewhat of a guide"

every neuro visit i learn something else. one thing that was consitent was the EEG. As in, after the med was working, why did i continue to need assessment annually? it was explained that as time goes, seizures can change and what they respond to may change; they can worsen, improve, or become a new variant. So basically these checks were to make sure meds still worked and my epilepsy wasnt evolving.

I have juvenile mycoclonic seizures (nocturnal) with tonic clonic status (grand mal, daytime). Ironically, complained about twitches/spazzing while asleep to primary. She said it was just RLS. 1 year later had a grand mal, 3 months after a diagnosis and new meds...

bottomline is therapy efficacy may be the only black and white factor of seizures; they either work or dont. As a result of cognitive impacts they have, its not surprising necessarily that your seizures have been impacted--the significance is that the med isnt working. bottomline: immediately inform your dr. (I take zonegran; bad anxiety, eventually adjusted, immediately controlled seizures). other than meds, evading stressors (dehydration, drinking, etc. helped)....

so

1: immediately report changes to neuro

2: has your neuro performed EEG to confirm med is working? typically they will, and I would expect it would show lack of control/new activity.

I relate to the confusion and feeling like its give and take--but one type of seizure activity traded for another isnt usually in the realm of a successful treatment.

I hope you have found a solution at this point! best of luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.