Changing BP medication

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I am after a bit of advice, after two years of misery I went to my GP yesterday and asked to change my bp medication, I am currently taking 10 mgs of Amlodopine which gives me ringing in my ears all the time. I have been changed of to 5 mgs (she wants to start on a low dose) of Lisinopril, suggesting that I take only 5 mgs of Amlolopine and the Linsinopril together for two weeks and then stop the Amlodopine.  Has anyone else changed bp medication? what was your experience?? Any advice would be very welcome. 

Many thanks in advance.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Two years!  Gosh Joanna you have tolerated this for a long time.  First of all, have you filled in a 'yellow card'?  I'll put a link  after this in case it needs approval from a moderator.  I think it might tell you about this on the info slip that comes with a drug.  It is to report adverse side effects of a drug.

I am currently taking 4 drugs I was started on Bisoprolol 20 years ago, then they added Ramipril.  I developed a cough with that.  I went back to my GP when it was too much of a nuisance.  They stopped the Ramipril & added Bendroflumethiazide.  I subsequently had Losartan added too.

Then last year, my blood pressure developed a life of its own & I had nose bleeds.  My GP sent me to A&E where they added Amlodipine.  I put on a stone, just excess water but not at all helpful.  My GP referred me to a Cardiologist who added Eplerenone [GP had stopped the Amlodipine]  

Now the Eplerenone has helped & I understand why I am taking it but I am unwell with it.  I have had a raft of bloods done this week & am seeing a GP on Sept 3rd.  I can't go on like this, nor can you!

I think it helps if you can see the same GP each time, continuity of care etc..  It sounds as though your GP is going about things in the right way.

Not everyone gets the side effects but if you get unbearable side effects, you don't have to tolerate them, there are alternatives.

• Posted

Thank you,

Yes, I can't believe that I put up with this ringing in the ears either!! I am thrilled I have found this GP in the practice, the chap I was seeing before (nothing sexist by the way) was not easy to talk to and I felt I was being a pest when a lot of people are truly unwell.  I gather that I am starting on a different 'type' of bp medication one that I have never been on.

Very best wishes and I hope your situation improves.

• Posted

Thank you Joanna!  It helps to remember that if your blood pressure isn't sorted out properly, then you will become one of those people who is 'truly unwell' !  It is also more expensive for the NHS if you have to keep returning to the GP & being sent away without the correct drug.

I'm glad you have found your current GP.  I hope the new drug suits you.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Joanna, I had a horrible experience with Amlodopine....tired and depressed constantly.  My doctor changed my medication after 6 months to Valsartan and after a couple of days I was fine.  BP normal, no fatigue.  I couldn't believe the difference.  I think it's just a case of trial and error to find something that suits you.  Good luck, 2 years is far too long to suffer.

• Posted

Thank you Karen and am so heartened to hear your story, I have had a dreadful time with a gallbladder that eventually came out seven weeks ago, so sort out this medication and I hope life will get back on track😊

• Posted

karen46692...you stated that you are taking VALSARTAN. Have you spoken to your Dr. about this???

There is a problem with Valsartan. In many many countries, including mine (Canada) Valsartan was stopped because a chemical got into the manufacture of it. There is the possibility that the chemical could cause cancer. Patients have been advised not to suddenly stop taking their bp med., but to contact their Dr. The medicine were switched, so if someone were on Valsartan, they were given Irbesartan, Candesartan, etc. I don't know where you are, but to be on the safe side, contact your Dr. 

• Posted

Hi Mike, I have checked it out, I'm in France and my medication is Valsartan Mylan which is not one of the ones that were a problem.  Thanks for reply though!

• Posted

joanna17875...I don't know why your Dr wants you to take 5mg Amlodipine witht he Lisinopril, then stop the Amlodipine after two weeks on the lower dosage. If she thinks weaning off the Amlodipine is the idea., you don't have to do this. When I was taking 10mg Amlodipine, I was told by two of my friends (who are Pharmacists) that weaning off Amlodipine is not necessary. One can abruptly stop, but the key is that they take something else in place of the Amlodipine...which you are. 

I have changed bp meds in the past...no problem. I went from an ARB (such as Irbesartan) directly to an ACE (Coversyl)...no problem. Not all meds can just be switched from one to another. A person can't just stop a Beta Blocker..they must be weaned.

I think you'd be just fine by stopping the Amlodipine altogether, but by all means contact your Dr.

• Posted

Hi Mike

This is very interesting and thank you for taking the time to reply, I gather from the lady go that I saw that Linsinopril takes a while to build up the desired effect hence taking the two for a while not that amlodipine needs weaning off from?? I have only ever taken amlodipine.

Regards and thank you again

• Posted

Hi Joanna!

Looks like you have a good doctor.

I have been through quite a few medications over the past 20 years and had to change because of side effects. Lisinopril, Hydrochlorothiazide, Amlodipine Hyzaar, and Zestril.

Hydrochlorothiazide, Hyzaar and Amlodipine cause Swelling of leg and feet.  Zestril caused rashes. The worst side effect ever was from Lisinopril. I took of for over 10 years when it cause my face lips and thought to swell up. I had to rush to the hospital. Right now l am taking Metoprolol, Cozaar and Nifedipine. Best wishes to you!

• Posted

Hi there,

Yes I feel she is good, a mature lady who seems to know her stuff, as I have said to other folks I have been dealing with a dodgy gallbladder for a long time and quite frankly felt really rough so didn't do anything about my bp medication but now that is done and dusted decided to bite the bullet, change meds. I hope that I don't get worse side effects changing but I want to try, amlodipine has given me a horrible dull ringing in my ears.  Thank you so much for replying and I hope you keep well.

Best wishes too!

• Posted

joanna17875...I'm not meaning to 'upset your applecart'., but there's something you should know, if you don't already. Lisinopril is an ACE inhibitor, & ACE inhibitors can cause a dry hacking cough. Some people however, do not develop the cough. Anything in the ACE class, i.e. Lisinopril, Endopril, Perindopril, etc..anything ending in 'il' is an ACE. IF you do get the cough, go back to your Dr. & he/she likely will put you on an ARB.

Sorry, I should have mentioned this to you in my last post.

• Posted

Hi Mike

Thanks for this info, anything is helpful, I am aware that it can cause a problem with blood flow to the kidneys but will bear this in mind. I would be happy if I could keep my BP under control with 5 mgs of amlodipine but sadly it is just a tad too high, on 5 mgs I don't get the ear ringing - ho hum!!!!

Cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.