Changing from Combined to Mini Pill (due to Migraines) - Worried..

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, so here's the story:

I've been on combined pill (Loestrin 20) since the age of 16. I'm now coming up for 29.

About 5 years ago I had my first ever migraine and from then on I've been getting them on and off. When I do have one it's really awful and I have to take myself to bed. It always effects the complete right side of my face, especially around the eye which feels hot, gets watery and feels droopy. I am already very sensitive to bright light but the migraine increases this dramatically, as well as making everything sound louder and causing double vision sometimes and dizziness. I've also felt nauseous with them but only a couple of times, never been sick. 

Lack of sleep, lack of water and too much looking at screens are definitely triggers but sometimes they do just seem to randomly come. 

More recently I've been getting a sudden spike of strong pain that starts at the back of my neck on the right side and spread across the right side of my head for about a minute before easing off and returning to normal. It feels almost like a nerve or something is being pinched.

On my last pill review, I mentioned the Migraine to the nurse and she first asked if I'd had my eyes tested. I had actually got a eye test booked in later that day - The first one since I was a child! I was supposed to wear glasses as a child but hated them so refused. - She prescribed just 1 pack of my pills and said to come back after.

I had the eye test and thought 100% he would say I needed glasses - I knew 1 eye was stronger than the other already - however he said even though one is slightly stronger, it's not enought to prescribe glasses for! Wow, I was shocked.. And happy haha.

I've just been back today for my follow up, said I didn't need the glasses and the doctor has said she thinks it's best for me to change contraception, from Combined to the Mini Pill - something I thought they would say but didn't really want them to because I am so comfortable with the combined.

This is the first contraception change I've had so I'm a bit anxious and worried what will happen. In my teens I had very heavy periods which gradually eased of a bit and then through my early 20's I actually had no periods at all - which was great! Just before a relationship breakup about 5 years ago now my periods randomly started coming back. Now I get them regularly each month again but they are usually nice and light and usually only last 3-5 days. I also love that I can take packets in succession if I want to skip the period that month if it falls at an awkward time.

So I'm sooo worried now about going on to these new pills - typically just before Christmas as well. I really despise having periods and I'm scared that they might come back really heavy or last really long. I've been given 3 months worth and then have to go back.

Sorry to ramble on, I just wondered if anyone else has been in the same situation and if they made things better or worse?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hiya, 

I changed from the combi to the mini pill this year . 

I never took anything for a long time never needed too . My periods where light no more than 5 days and like clock work I went on the combination and from day one I came on and never stopped they changed it same thing.  So I went on to the mini pill the first one was cazzerette I had no period for about 2 months then got break though bleeding then started with a horrible brown discharge and depression I never felt so awful in my life I put up with it for 6 months then finally changed onto noriday my last choic, with in two days I was myself again ( thankfully) but sadly I now have a period every week and a half bad bloating and pains so bad and heavy bleeding am on my second month and starting to get really fed up again 😫

I am now considering the copper coil, so far the downside is heavy periods I can cope with that as long as they are not every other week . 

So for me neither has been any good but the depression with the mini pill is something I never want to experience again . 

• Posted

Hi, thanks for the reply and sorry to hear you've had such a rough time with it all! sad

Just thought I'd do a little update.. Started on the mini pill (Cerazette) a week before Christmas and I don't know what it is but my head feels so clear, like I can think easily and do tasks like sitting working on my computer etc for a long time without worrying about getting migraines! Perhaps it's just a coincidence, I don't know but I feel a lot better. I've not had a period since going onto the mini pill.. I'm hoping I won't have any haha! So far so good but still early days so we'll see what it'll bring over time.

• Posted

Whoops, not Cerazette, It's Cerelle* 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.