changing from Effexor to Prozac

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi, I'm in the process of switching from effexor xr (75mgs) to Prozac (20mgs). Has anyone done this and had a good experience? I suffer from anxiety and am worriied I have a rough road ahead of me. I'm wondering what I'm in for. Will my anxiety get worse? Will I have withdrawals from Effexor? I'm weaning off the Effexor and starting prozac at the same time. Thanks!

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I switched from Zoloft to Prozac and it has been the worst ride I've ever had. But everyone is different I don't think Prozac is the one for me. I'll probably be coming off it and on somthing else after I see the psyc today.

• Posted

Went off Prozac 10mg after many years felt good for awhile in March 2016 depression struck again. Dr. put me on 5mg i can't even take that now to many side effects, went back after 4weeks of trying 5 with every side effect you could have now he wants me to take 10mg if you can't take 5how are you going to take 10 Don't know what to do.

• Posted

Yeah I was kinda hoping the psychiatrist change meds to but insted she upped it to 30. Let's see how this goes

• Posted

At this time I'm not taking anything except my Xanax,I'm to weak & tired to keep on with Prozac.The panic attacks, nausea,sweating feel like I'm going to faint can't sleep I can't do it anymore.l need a break.I f I have to start back it will small doses until I can work up to 10mgs again.I was always very sensitive to medicine never took but 10 mg when I was taking Prozac.I will let you know how I do,hope it will work.Drs don't take this medicine they don't know how sick people feel,we do.

• Posted

Yeah doc told me it doesn't cause sweating and hot flashes which I get so wtf glad I'm not the only one getting seating and sick feeling

• Posted

You are definitely not the only one with these side effects I've had them all that's why I'm off for awhile I'm just so tired of being sick.My main side effect was panic & being so tired, nausea.Prozac was good for me for a long time .I wished now I hadn't quit taking  8 months ago now I can't seem to get back on it .I don't remember it bothering me like that when I started it a few years back.,maybe it because he started low dose worked up to 10mg.Hindsight is 20/20.  We Will Get Better !

• Posted

Excuse me posting again. I thought I'd posted yesterday but I can't see it anywhere so here it is again

Hi, Im on the same change (from 150 Venlaxine to Fluoxetine

Before I go on, could I make a plea to everyone to try to use what are called the GENERIC names for drugs i.e. Venlafaxine to Fluoxetine. There are lots of TRADE (MANUFACTURERS or BRAND ) names for the same drugs - Effexor is just one of many for venlafazine and Prozac is one of many for fluoxetine. There can be iterally dozens of different trade names. Using trade names means that someone taking the same drug but with a different trade name won't find all the discussions on Venlafaxine.

Anyway, to add my bit. 

Were u taking Ven for just anxiety or depression + anxiety

I'm worried about - 4 days in and feeling shaky (no idea idea if it's the drugs or not).

The reason I'm doing is that perhaps the Ven stopped working and this was my docs suggestion.Like many people I'm aware of Ven's short fhalf-life and need to taper of slowly. The fluoxetine is there to replace the Ven hopefully. I guess one can't be sure that the new one will work (it seems as if individuals vary in their respones to various drugs and maybe one needs to keep trying different ones. BUT, hopefully, if Fluoxetine works for you and me then sometime from 1 or 2 weeks onward, you'll notice an improvement. One is told that they should be working (if they are goind to work) by 4-8 weeks

My personal concern is that as one is tailing of the Ven, although one is adding in the fluoxetine, that there will be a period when one is uffering Ven withdrawal and not yet getting benefit of the fluoxetine kicking in. But maybe I'm overthinking this.

I've been on Ven for 12 years and was good most of the time (tho when I did try to withdrawa I failed).

My new spell of depression was precipitated by my stressed out life at home which I won't go into

I'm trying to add listening to lots of mp3 of relaxation, mindfulness, exercise, social things, but it's tough. My biggest problem is that I work at home alone and don't see people at all unless I make big efforts as above. e,g Evening and day adult education classes

I do fear it getting worse (like 12 years back when I was pretty non-functional for a month or two. Yet when I hear the suffering here I realise that relatively I'm fortunate. But right now, like you vanilla27, I'm living day to day

WIsh you luck and feep in touch

• Posted

I was taking the Ven for anxiety, I didn't have any depression. I don't feel like it helped my anxiety to point where I wanted to stay on it for fear of becoming addicted. I've only been on it 5 months. I'm on day three of 75mgs of Ven and 20mgs of Flu, havent had any withdrawals from the Ven yet and no side effects from the Fluoxetine yet.

• Posted

I made mistake of using ven as abbreviation for venlafaxine, which I should have said. I made a plea to everyone to try to use the universal generic name for every drug, and trade name. For venlafaxine there are the following trade names

Trade namesEffexor XR, Effexor, Trevilor, Lanvexin

If we use the single generic name we'll all be singing from the same hymn book (I think that's the right expression)..

Do remember folks that most people who post here are posting problems they have. Those who do drug changes and have no problem are less likely to post - in my opinion of course

At least that's how I'm trying to keep things in perspective. Now 1 week in to change from venlafaxine to fluoxetine.

• Posted

I'm in the middle of going from 375mgs of ven for pain & depression...to 20mgs of proz..then when I'm fully off ven, docs uppin Prozac to 40mgs daily. Hes got me on xanex for anxiety..This is a freaky rocky road man...Feels like I'm walking on bubble wrap..and dizzy 😵..tired..wickedly intolerant of people...including best mates & family.super sad & super mad.

• Posted

Have you had feelings like you have no control over your mind or thoughts? My doctor has taken me from 225mg of Effexor xr down to 37.5 mg if Effexor xr. And put me on 40 mg of Prozac. I have been having anxiety ...crying spells, feelings like I have no control over my thoughts or emotions and shakiness. I really want this feeling to go away. I am a nursing student and I can't focus on school. And I am scared of how long this will last for.

• Posted

Hi, I'm sorry but I didn't have the symptoms you're describing. I was only on Effexor for a short time and my anxiety seemed to get better as I lowered the Effexor, but after three weeks on Prozac my anxiety went through the roof so I had to stop taking it. Have you tried any benzos? I take klonopin as needed and it makes a huge difference. I'm sorry you're suffering and hope you're better soon!

• Posted

I was feeling good while going up to the 40 mg of Prozac but when I got to the 37.5 of Effexor my mind started racing. I take clonazepam 2 times a day

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.