Changing from Effexor to venlalic 225mg

Posted , 3 users are following.

There's quite a few discussions on this but they seem quite old so I wondered if I should stimulate a fresh discussion.

I have been on Effexor capsules for a couple of months and had seen a marked improvement. However, the last prescription I had, I foolishly took to a different chemist and they gave me Venlalic tablets. I queried this and they said it was the same medicine, just a different brand. Within a week I had gone right down hill. I had feelings of nausea, no energy and within five days was almost catatonic. I could hardly move, couldn't speak to anyone and by the seventh day I was in a bad way. I managed to get an appointment with my GP and explained and he gave me a new prescription which I took to the usual chemist and got the capsules again.

It wasn't a problem with the cost of the medication, it was more a problem with the dispensing chemist. I'll not make that mistake again.

There's something far wrong if I feel so bad on what I'm advised by the chemist is the same medication. There was nothing else changed in my curcumstances other than Venlalic tablets so nothing else I could attribute the problems to. I'm convinced it was the tablets and suggest this should be looked at.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have often wondered if different brand's of venlafaxine make a difference. I don't think I've been given the venlalic but I have been given different brands.  I've had effexor but the one I'm on now is just called venlafaxine hydrochloride. Made by TEVA UK Ltd.  
  • Posted

It's really made me think that all this chopping and changing of brands is why I'm not getting much better. I'm also on some other medication (long story). I definitely will ask for effexor on my next prescription. 
  • Posted

I have had chronic anxiety for over 18 months.  Saw a psych who put me on venlafaxine.  When I got to the dose of 225mg I was given the hard white slow release tablets.  I was told that they would take 5-6 weeks to kick in.  Towards the end of week 6, and feeling no better, (worse for most of the time) I swa a tablet in my stools and decided to investigate.  It was full of powder and weighed exactly the same as it did before it went in.  This was a repeat prescription and the tablets were from spain.  Now I don't know if the british ones were working.  I an now on the soft gel capsules (day10) and still feel bad, but I know I have to give it time.  Ironically on the last day of week 4 on the british tablets I did have about 4 hours when I felt calmer.

How long did it take for you before you felt any banefit?  I feel like I'm never going to be 'me' again!

• Posted

I was on Effexor capsules for several months and then the chemist (same one) changed to Venlalic but i can honestly say I noticed no difference and I've been happily on Venlalic for several years now. i did notice the white tablets in my stool and asked the pharmacist about it (embassasment!) and he explained that it was a mini-dosing ball which released the drug gradually as it passes through the body. Anxiety and depression symptoms do go up and down, especially in the early months of treatment. It could be that your body reacts differently to the different formulations, or it could be unconnected, but if you feel better on Effexor, and if your doctor is willing to prescribe it, then I guess it's best to stick to it. Good Luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.