Changing from fluoxetine to citalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can someone help reassure me. I've been on fluoxetine for 3 years and they seem to of stopped working the last 6 months. I've gone through a lot this year. Bankruptcy, both my cat and dog put to sleep within 3 months. It's made me a nervous wreck. I've finally been to the doc who said to stop fluox for 4 days, start 10mg cit and increase to 20mg after 5 days. Has anyone else switched? The fluoxetine started to make me jittery and nervous. More anxious than I was to start with. 

I need to hear some good stories about citalopram working well! And hope it's more calming than fluoxetine. Xx 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi my lovely

What an absolutely awful time you are going through so I just had to reach out to you .

I have suffered with anxiety and depression for as long as I can remember and only started Citalopram the last 7 years but it has been an absolute lifesaver .

I took Fluoxetine briefly in my twenties but found it was terrible for my anxiety but okish for depression . Give the Citalopram a go , you have nothing to lose and I think personally it will help you through this terrible time .

I'm 45 years old and now on 40 mg Citalopram , please give me a shout if you need a chat or anything . This site is a great support and please remember that this terrible storm you are experiencing will pass just hand on in there 😘

Sending Big Hugs

• Posted

Thank you Louise, It means alot. smile

I'm no stranger to AD's but when I feel like this I lose hope. Flu worked great but all I am doing now is panicking on them,

Does anyone else hyperventilate? I have become fixated on how I'm breathing, makes me feel as though I'm losing my mind, but i know this is anxiety. GP said Cit were more calming, and I may yawn a bit more than i usually do! but i can cope with that.

Thank you so much for your words.

Laura xxx

• Posted

Hi Laura, IV never been on fluox, but IV was on citalopram 10mg for 6 weeks before moving to 20mg, my doctor told me you must give each dose 4-6 weeks before moving up, this is to minimise side effects while moving up and to get the best results from cit, and when they work you will know because you will look forward to planning your life everyday but give it time and you will get better, IV been on 30mg for nearly 3 months and feel like myself again even better than myself, much love to you x
    • Posted

Hi Chris,

have to do 4 days washout, then start 10mg Cit for 5 days then 20mg.

Do they 4 days take me to sunday morning, if i last took my fluox yesterday 02/08?

Thanks smile

Laura

• Posted

Hi Laura

Yes, Sunday would be your last day wash out, then Monday start citalopram ok x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.