Changing from fluoxetine to sertraline

Posted , 5 users are following.

Any advice on changing meds from 40mg fluoxetine to 100mg sertraline for anxiety and panic? Hopefully positive stories because I am petrified and know tabley changes can be horrible. 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Following this to as I have a doc appointment tomorrow and he is changing me to sertraline. Did u stop Prozac or you straight swapping ? X
    • Posted

Hi Jess, I am so sorry for the late reply - I didn't have notifications on so I was on 40mg of prozac and this was how the change happened.

week 1 - 20mg of prozac and 50mg sertrailine together

week 2- 50mg of sertrailine on its own

week 3 - 100mg of sertraline.

I am now on week 4 and will be going back to the Dr for another increase - how are you getting on? xxxx

• Posted

Hello there Hun ! I’m on my week 3 altogether one week of 25 and 50 for two this has been the hardest week for me in regards to tiredness and weakness but been reassured by the doctor it’s pretty normal xx
    • Posted

It sounds like we’re both around the same stage- this week has totally been the worst my anxiety is soooo high buyback I expected it, I hate feeling this way but I have to believe the out come will be worth it! Xxxxx so nice to think someone else isn’t going through the same thing xxx
    • Posted

hi jessica, ive just read your post as i am going through my 3rd week on sertraline switching from fluoxetine and feeling awful - did it work out for you in the end ? x

• Posted

hi there hun i stayed on sertraline for 6 months went up to 100mg ans couldnt cope with it any longer im now 4 weeks back on 20mg fluoxetine and upping next week to 40mg so not great at the mo how r u doing xx

• Posted

hi jess, sorry to hear sertraline didnt work out for you - did fluoxetine work for you before? hopefully it will work again. ive been on seroxat, citalopram, fluoxetine and now sertraline - the first 3 all worked for a few years, after quite a rough initial 6 weeks, unfortunately they poop out after about 3 years, which i why i'm trying sertraline - just done 3 weeks - 2 on 50mgs and after feeling fantastic for the first couple of weeks i crashed and been feeling awful the past week - not easy when its christmas and ive got 2 very energetic boys ! trying to just hang in there as i know the symptoms should pass and ill feel better, really helps to talk to people going through the same, keep in touch xxx

• Posted

hi hun , yes it worked for me for about 12 years on an off , i was silly and quit cold turkey  wasnt the best idea , my doctor wanted me to try sertraline as it works great for a lot of people however the side effects were just to much for me . i know that feeling hun i have three young children 2 boys 9 and 7 and a 6 year old daughter so ive just tried to be as happy as i can for them over xmas , give it time hun so you can be sure i stuck it out for 6 months to make sure i had given it time . hope youve had a lovely xmas ! keep in touch . from south wales uk xxx

• Posted

How did you get on with sertaline, as I am thinking of changing also from prozac, could you let no no how you got on with side effects thanks
    • Posted

Hi Mrs Susan its week 3 of my change and symptoms have only just began. For the first 3 weeks I actually felt on top of the world - but it hit in the middle of week 3. I have read that it takes around 30 days for Prozac to leave your system completely so I suppose the 3 week mark was about right.

I dont think Fluoxetine ever worked for me but I was to scared to make a change because I know how bad they can be (after changing before) but I finally convinced my self that a couple of months of torture was worth it if I was able to have a better life afterwards.

I think the side effects are to be expected and they are not nice but they will pass - I dont want to scare you by righting a really negative list of my experience because that wont help you :-(.

Please let me know if you do change and share your experience with me xx

• Posted

hi christine - im going through the same symptoms following my switch from fluoxetine - felt fine to begin with now feeling awful - did it level out for you in the end ??

• Posted

hi christine just reading your post im back on prozac again after 1 year hoping it might work havent tried sertraline is it supposed to be more effective for depression and anxiety because up till now i month in on prozac 3 wks at 20mg and just over a wek on 40mg ive not seen a lot of difference yet.the anxiety kicks in when ihavesome real down days when i cry all the time and dont think anything will work i just want to be normal and get on with my life .it helps to know other people are in a similar position and we are not battling on our own.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.