Changing from mirtazapine to venaflaxine I'm told to do this in a week

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm currently on 30mg mirtazapine and my psych told me to just cut it to 15mg and take 37.5mg of venaflaxine for a week then to stop the mirtazapine and double the dose of venaflaxine but I'm so scared to do this. Any advice please thank you

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You can take the 2 together. They are meant to be a very effective combo.
  • Posted

Hi Debbie

to be honest that sounds a bit of a brutal withdrawal from mirtazipine. I tried coming of mirtazipine twice with horrendous withdrawals. Third time I tapered correctly. I would suggest taking 3/4 of your 30mg tablet and stay on it until you stabilise. Then 15mg until you stabilise, then half a tab 7.5 then wait until you can function properly then 1/4 tab 3.75 for a couple of weeks then half that for a week or so, then a crumb of a tab for a week or so, then crumb every other day for a week or two, then stop! If you don't taper you will feel very poorly and for me I thought I was losing my mind. Adding ven with mirt was my life saver. I am amazed you have been given that advice with stopping mirt. Please don't put yourself through this. A slow taper is essential when stopping mirt.

Wishing you health and here if you need me ????

• Posted

Hi I'm so scared I'm not even going to taper down from 30mg until after Xmas then I'll do it slow. But are you saying if I stay on a bit of mirtazapine along with the venaflaxine that it be good taking the two together as I've heard that it's a good combination but I'm so so scared. X

• Posted

It is considered a very good combo. It is know a californian rocket fuel....google it.

I cannot understand what your doctor is doing.

I am on mirt and cit at the moment. Currently removing the cit to add the ven to the mirt. I would not withdraw of mirt first at all.

• Posted

How much mirtazapine do you take and are you coming off it when you start the venaflaxine
    • Posted

I m on 45mg and I will be staying on it when I start the ven. They are effective together.
    • Posted

I will not come of the mirt till I am more stable.
    • Posted

I'm not totally coming of the mirtazapine I'm doing a cross over. So after Xmas I got just take 15mg mirt instead of the 30mg but got take 37.5mg of venaflaxine with the 15mg mirt for a week then stop mirt and take 70mg venaflaxine so the cross over will be with in a week and the side effects shouldn't be bad as they are similar ssnr,s so the venaflaxine will over take what I'm missing by stopping the mirt. I'm scared but this is the only way to do this and I'm sick of feeling bad every day x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.