Changing from Psyllium Husk prep

Posted , 4 users are following.

ive suffered mild constipation most of my adult life. Diagnosed diverticula disease November 2016, by sigmoid colonoscopy. Several mild flare ups, one hospitalisation, but managing situation fairly well with diet changes. Have used H and B Regucol for a year, which kept me fairly regular. Changed to H and B Psyllium Husk capsules four weeks ago, mainly for convenience. Now experiencing stabbing pains left hand side and suspected trapped wind. Bowels have become far more irregular. I’m thinking of discarding the psyllium capsules, which are NOT convenient really, because they are three times daily, and the regime is difficult to fit in with my many medications for unrelated other ailments. I will go back on to Regucol, but wonder if anyone else in U.K. can suggest an alternative preparation to add fibre to my diet. I do have a good healthy diet with all the recommended ingredients, but it’s just not ‘working’ for me. Thank you for any welcome suggestions.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Aileen, I too have a tendency to become constipated especially after some medication I had been given for fibromyalgia 18 months ago. This I believe contributed to me being hospitalised with diverticulitis last August. Since then I also now seem to have a fair bit of rectal pain. However, I do not take any medication or supplements for constipation, instead I eat weetabix for breakfast with a spoonful of milled organic flaxseed. I also take 3 teaspoons of lactulose once a day plus drink plenty of water, although still probably not enough. I have a probiotic drink and a probiotic yoghurt daily too. This seems to help most of the time. I’m still finding out what I can or cannot eat. P.S. I am in the UK. Good luck to you and if you need to ask any more please do.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to reply to me, Caroline. I was hospitalised with diverticulitis Boxing Day 2017, And since then have suffered rectal pain several times a week. It takes your breath away, doesn’t it! I have a probiotic yoghurt every day, but I will also try a probiotic drink a day. I take acidophilus capsules every day, and plenty of water. At the moment, touch wood, although I get pains and trapped wind, I haven’t had a flare up of the dd, only occasional two day diarrhoea attacks. Best wishes.
  • Posted

I have been taking psyllium husk for 19 years, but in the form of Fybogel, a powder which you mix with 12 fl oz water and gulp down immediately before it thickens.  I take one each morning, but some people take one in the evening as well.  It works fine for me - when I don't take it, then I become constipated.  However it MUST be taken with lots of water, even the capsules.  Were you taking at least 12 oz water each time you had the capsules?  But if your other measure suited you, I suggest you stick with it.  I too take plenty of other medications and had no problems.

• Posted

Hi felinia. I had an idea I would get a reply from yourself, you have helped me so much in the past. I suppose I knew that really because I was doing fine on Regucol I should go back to using that. The capsule Psyllium husks sounded more convenient, but three times a day is difficult, because of the intervals needed between medication and food etc. I have osteoporosis arthritis/ scoliosis/type 2 diabetes/ curvature of spine, and the regime of meds is two hourly. It proved difficult to say the least....however I am drinking at least the 12 fluid ounces each time with the capsules, and lots more in between. Haha. Regucol was only once a day, much easier to fit in. I will read up about Fybogel, thank you, but probably take your advice and reorder my  Regucol. Many, many thanks, and best wishes.
    • Posted

Is Fybogel a prescription? Or otc ? Haven’t heard from you in awhile hope all is good with you. I was diagnosed also with SIBO just got off antibiotics again so struggling. 
    • Posted

My pleasure.  As the saying goes, if it ain't bust, don't fix it.  Hope everything returns to normal soon.

• Posted

Hi

I get Fybogel prescribed by my GP free as I am over 60.  But it can be bought online as well.  Amazon is a good place to start.  I'm having a few niggles at present so being careful, having been pain free for 6 months.  But I've recently been diagnosed with glaucoma and osteoarthritis, as well as having a chest infection.  A triple whammy!  Getting old!

• Posted

Oh no so sorry to hear this, hope you find relief. I’m so struggling with all this, SIBO diet sucks , no sugar, dairy, carbs. I still just do chicken and fish and spinach asparagus and squash. And certain Frits. So boring. I see new GI Dietitian tomorrow to figure out best diet . I always had diarrhea till had colonoscopy, and diagnosed with SIBO, now constapation is major. I’ll get my Dr to get me fibogel see if it helps. Ty, hope you get comfort soon. I to have arthritis And degenerative disc issues in lower back. Such a pain. 
  • Posted

What Is h and b Regucol? I have switched from diarrhea to constapation. And still have poo issues lotsa pressure feels like I don’t completely go all the way. Such a pain in ass. Literally! I was also just diagnosed with SIBO. So had to do antibiotics again and change diet again. 😑 

• Posted

Hi vicki, Sorry it’s Holland and Barrett Regucol. Read about it on their website. It does work, I just got silly about taking it every day. It’s a powder type prep you mix with fruit juice, it’s not exactly unpleasant just hard sometimes to gulp down, lol. I’m probably going to go back on it, ‘cos it emptied me out every day, ( not diarrhoea though) !! Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.