Changing medication

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I visited my GP today, and told him about my issues with Fluoxetine and all of the side effects I was suffering from. I wrote a list of my side effects and questions to ask the doctor. He told me that the anxiety symptoms and nausea were very common side effects, he was however very concerned that I didn't seem to be recovering after 3 weeks. So he has told me to come off of Fluoxetine and try a different medication.

The new medication he has prescribed me is Escitalopram (known as Cipralex) 5mg, it's an antidepressant with very little side effects. He also prescribed me Domperidone tablets to help with the nausea and vomiting (I have to take them 3 times a day).

Hopefully now I can recover and get back to normal, I've recently taken a Domperidone tablet and my appetite has increased slightly. I don't feel so nauseated as well.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I'm surprised your doctor was surprised Robert. Three weeks seems quick for Prozac.  But so pleased that maybe you have now found what you needed. I think you'll be fine now!

• Posted

PS My week 3 was Hell on Earth too. Utterly grim. Can see why you might have had enough.
    • Posted

It was a bit of a surprise, he seemed concerned though that I wasn't improving much by week 3. Hopefully Escitalopram works for me

• Posted

Hey I bet it does work, and Prozac truly sucks for some people. I am on it forever rather than ever having to start it again wink
    • Posted

HI Dom .. well done for keeping going on Prozac, you’ve got to give it time, and I’m sorry these doc are just reading from a book on how long it takes to get over the smytoms, bet if you asked them if they have ever taken it, bet they will say no, and untill uv been on Prozac you can’t say how long you will get the smytoms for, as we are all different, when I went back to my doc at 3 weeks he said it was to early for me to come back and see him, as I won’t see a inprovement on this med for at least 8/10 weeks as so slow...

So one doc says one thing and another says summert eles, I do hope you over come the going up faze, and feel good soon 🤗x

• Posted

Hello Dawn,

This is really strange but I am on day 3 of 40mg and feel great - now wondering if I am on too much.

Yeah every doc says different and I guess it is difficult to remember all the different meds but they should know Prozac takes the longest to reach steady state.

Dom x

PS My great day today is a blip wink

• Posted

Dom, I have been on Fluxotine for 5 weeks and 8 other ADs. In the last 9 months, either with side effects or withdrawal. It has been terrible. 

I took Fluxotine many years ago and felt great in 2 weeks.   Even though this time has been rough, I am sticking with it too.  I started with5 mg and am now at 10. I’ll go to 20 at some point. 

Had your side effects disappeared when you went up to 40 mg?

Thanks for sharing your experience and to all the others who do the same. 

Unless you’ve been here, there is no way to understand it. 

• Posted

Hello Nancy,

Wow I'm in awe quite honestly. You are such a strong person to take all that.

I had no side effects at all the first time I was on Prozac. This time it has been a living nightmare! I started 40mg 3 days ago. The first day was weird, the 2nd I just wanted to curl up and expire, but today on the third day I feel good. Maybe a blip. But 40mg was my dose before I quit last time. I was daft quitting as I felt so good that I thought I was cured.

So, it is too soon to say for me. I have insomnia at the moment. But Prozac stopped the panic attacks, then most of the anxiety.

Prozac is amazing so definitely stick with it. I am almost in my 7th week now and things have definitely improved. Be sure to keep a diary and write down one positive every day. You can always find a positive even if it is only that you made it!

• Posted

Dom, don’t be in awe as I did a lot of moaning and groaning  and was in utter disparity.  What choice do we have if we want to feel well again? Sometimes I think the cure worse than the condition. 

Before you went to 40mg ,’had all your side effects fanished? I want to go up  to 20, but do I need to stay on 10 until I have no side effects.?

Your breathing suggestions have been  helpful. 

• Posted

Robert, are you in the UK? I am in US and can’t get get Domperidone here 

Glad you are better. Please continue to let us know your progress on the new med. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.