Changing medication - any advice/personal experiences?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I've just hit the 12 week mark for sertraline and other than the odd couple weeks of feeling myself, I haven't really found it to be truely beneficial.

I'm considering asking for a change in medication and I'm just wondering if any of you guys have changed before. Were there any bad side effects etc and did it turn out better for you in the long run? Oh and also did you taper off your origional antidepressant or just switch straight over?

About a week ago I've been getting some crazy ear ringing as well which may be a side effect of sertraline - all the more reason to stop.

Any replies will be much appreciated, thanks!

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I was on Sertraline for 4 months, didn't really have any side effects but didn't really seem to do anything, I went on Wellbutrin for two weeks, it was horrible, then went on Celexa, not really any side effects, it did help, and went off of it cause I thought I knew better than the Drs. I was wrong! I was on Celexa for 4 months, then off for 4 months, was gunna go back on Celaxa and the Dr suggested I go on Lexapro, which is a newer version of Celexa, less side effects and starts to work faster, for me it's amazing, I am so happy and have more energy, it's great for me, so sometimes u have to take a risk and make changes! Best of Luck😀
    • Posted

Are you talking about Zoloft? I am just starting to go off celexa 3 days now and I have been noticing dizziness and imbalance when walking. Not sure if it is the change. Doing 20 mg of cital and 25 mg of Zoloft. Appetite is not good and some headaches, nausea. Just not feeling right. Was on 40 mg of cital felt like it wasn't working so trying this. Any input would be helpful

David

• Posted

Thanks for the reply! How long have you been on lexapro? Also did it take long before starting to work and is it consisistent?

Think its time for me to try something else you've made me a lot more optimistic smile

• Posted

Hi David, yes Zoloft and sertraline is the same, sertraline didn't do anything for me, as far as side effects it was hard to tell, I was also sobering up, so had withdrawals from that. I'd have to check it again but sertraline is like one of the weaker anti depressants, I know I've said how great Lexepro(Escitalapram) has been for me. I was on citi and it made me feel ok, but then kind of felt like I had before, so when the Dr said Lexapro, I'm like y not. Less side effects and stronger! I was on 20 mg of citi and now on 10 mg of Lexapro. Which is the same as 20 mg of Citi. Not sure how high they can go on Lexapro. But I have never felt better, I can't express enough how truly great I feel! I hope this helps. Knowing how Lexapro works for me, I would for sure recommend giving it a try!! What do u have to lose?😀
    • Posted

Hey there, I've been on Lexapro for almost 2 months, and it seemed to work immediately. I really can't say I had side effects, cause it was so nice to feel good nothing really was noticeable. I would say it's very consistent, I mean sometimes I'm not in a great mood, maybe tired, hungry or after work I'm just gunna sit and chill and relax for the night! Like I told David I can't stress how great I really feel. I know everyone is different, but it's great for me!!
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply again I'll keep laxapro in mind when i see my doc tomoz smile
    • Posted

Thanks for the information. Will keep it in mind I don't know if I should continue and see if this helps. It has only been a few day? It is very confusing especially when I am not feeling overly confident about things in general.
    • Posted

I really can understand that, being that Lexapro is the fourth and hopefully final one I am on. It does get frustrating though, but as u know so well, it's different for everyone, and stay strong!
    • Posted

I have a question? I have seemed to be having a very difficult time getting up out of bed in the mornings usually by 12. I really want to get up earlier?? Do you think the medicine will help this eventually?
    • Posted

Yeah for sure, I mean I've had a couple strong weeks where I've felt myself at around week 10ish on the meds. I remember looking forward to the day ahead and getting up at good times to be productive. I also had a lot more energy to do stuff!

Right now I'm sleeping about 13/14 hours a day which is a complete contrast, but when the meds are working you'll be energised and up well before 12!

• Posted

Give it alittle longer I had ringing ears up until around 15-16 weeks and low mood and tiredness, but now I'm entering 5 months and I'd say I'm 95% myself still have the occasional heart palpitation but other than that pretty good, even went away to France for a few days and was fine. I have removed all stimulants from my diet, caffeine being the main one, I also drink calming teas like peppermint and camomile, plus rescue remedy helps in the morning and the night time version helps me sleep, good luck, seems silly to change now as your have to taper off sertraline and start the whole process again with another anti depressant.
    • Posted

Philip thank you for your comment. I will stay with it a little bit longer. I go off the cital completely in a few days then start to increase the Zoloft and then in another week go up to 100mg. I hope it helps!

David

• Posted

I started on 100mg and stayed on the same dose throughout, dr wanted to do it gradually and increase every 2-4 weeks but I could face going through side effects every time you up the dose, so I had it full blown from day one and like I said it's taken me 5 months to get to where I am
    • Posted

Thats for the comment, ill stick it out I think. The doctor suggested the same thing also.

Its nice to know the ear ringing wasnt just me! 

• Posted

I know it hard, I've had so many moments when I just want to give up but I just keep pushing on hoping tomorrow will be a better day, it seems to be good if you don't plan things either just do what you can when you can
    • Posted

yeah I try not to be so hard on myself now days if I feel like I'm not up to something.

So you said that youre about 95% yourself and it took about 15 weeks to get to that stage but is it like consistent?

I've got a couple weeks in a row where I feel myself but it never seemed to last before thats why I got bumped up to 100mg a couple weeks ago.

• Posted

From 15 weeks I was having 2-3 good weeks a month but to get to 95% it's taken 5 months

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.