Changing medication very worried

Posted , 3 users are following.

Been on Fluoxetine for like 2/3 years now maybe longer i need to come of fluoxetine and go on Mirtazapine 15mg to start litte scared tried half once felt awful stopped went back to fluoxtine the stories make it even worse wanting to go back on them  would like some reassurance if you have taken these pills and find them safe i am pretty much nuts because i fear the heat so i close mu windows, i fear going to the toilet, washing do pretty much anything so taking anew med is a terrifying thing for someone like me.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Everyone reacts totally differently to meds. Of course you will mainly hear about the negatives as that is when people ask for help. I have a few friends on mirtazapine and are doing brilliantly on it - one of them fought tooth and nail to get back on it after his psych took swapped him to something else.

Many of these meds have side effects at first that go once your body gets used to them so it's worth persevering if you can. The only way you're going to know is if you give it a try.

Why do you need to come off of fluoxetine? Has it stopped working as well for you?

• Posted

Fluoxetine never really worked at all for me mean they weren't that bad they helped a little for sure but over time i just went back to were i am at now

• Posted

also thanks for the reassurance 
  • Posted

All prescribed meds are safe otherwise they wouldn't have passed the safety tests etc, and be available to the general public.  Doctors would not prescribe drugs they didn't think were safe for use. 

All meds have side effects even things like aspirin so the chances are you will have some common ones.  It is very unlikely you will have uncommon ones as by their very nature they are rare!  Ad's aren't strong powerful drugs unless you have a very serious disorder so you should be quite safe on them.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.