Changing meds because of fatigue?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I've been on Citalopram for 11 months, and it's really worked for me, as I was in a terrible state a year ago and not sleeping at all. I started reducing from 40mg to 30 mg a few months ago because of fatigue.  Then 6 weeks ago I reduced to 20mg, but I am still exhausted and needing to nap most days to get through.  I've made an appointment to see the doctor in the new year, but don't know whether to ask to reduce again to 10mg, or try a different anti-depressant. I'm scared of messing about with meds too much as my depression and anxiety coming back would be awful - but this fatigue is really debilitating.  Has anyone else been in the same situation?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I've been on 20mg, for 5 years now. I have tried to come off them by cutting down to 10mg, but everytime, I end up back on 20mg as I feel terrible, worse then I did before I went on them. I really wish I didn't listen to the doctors and go on them in the first place. I find it so hard to loose weight on them too.

But I've decided no matter how hard it will be I'm gonna try and come off them in the new year. And NEVER ever again go on tablets.

Take care, and really think about what u do.

Happy new year x

• Posted

Hi, are you sure its the meds that are making you tired? I'm on iron as being anaemic can make you feel like that, maybe get a blood test before changing your meds any more, much love xxx
  • Posted

Thanks, I had a blood test last year, but it's probably worth getting another one.  I'm taking iron and multivitamins but it's always worth checking.  I'm also hitting the menopause, so could be hormonal.  I took citalopram about 5 years ago, and didn't have the same issue with fatigue that I do now. I guess I should check everything out before trying to change the meds.  Thanks for your advice. 
    • Posted

Ditto menopause, it's not funny is it, it's hard to tell sometimes what is anxiety/depression and what is hormonal xxx or both at the same time woo hoo!!! xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.