Changing pattern of headache for over 6 months

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I am a 19 years old male college student from Malaysia. I had a varying pattern of headaches for more than half a year (from early June until now) with other symptoms such as dizziness, blurred vision, and skull pain.

My first "weird" headache started with pain at both sides of the temple of the head, the pain usually lasts for just a few seconds up to 5 minutes (I had one time it lasted for 2 hours straight) (No specific occurrence of this type of headache during the time of the day, it happens very frequently, up to 10-30 times a day) . I had this type of pain for around 3 months. I have searched for the Internet for symptoms, and what it came closest to it was an ice-pick headache or hemicrania continua.

In between the 3 months, I have severe headaches (extreme migraines) everyday for a few weeks, that is the time where I worried about my headaches a lot, I have taken painkillers (Paracetamol) to reduce the pain but the headaches stopped eventually after 2 weeks or so.

Then, around August, I started to have minor dizziness accompanying with a (once again) "weird" type of headache that it feels pain in the very inner of the head that radiates to the back of the neck. I have suspected this most likely to be a tension headache, but it keeps on coming at least twice to 5 times a day, everyday until this very day. The pain usually lasts 15 minutes to hours. I have even suspected it to be a neck muscles problem and I applied analgesic balm (that used to relieve muscle pains) every time the headache occurs but it doesn't work at all.

Then, around October (last month), I have weird pains in the outer layer of my head (I don't really know if it is scalp pain or skull pain). These pains usually aren't as painful as an ordinary migraines but it bugs me off (probably due to anxiety). When it hurts, it only hurts one particular area, then it moves on to another area the next time the pain came. These pains lasts for a few minutes only, and occurs many times a day.

Clarifying these headache-related issues I have faced, I have low blood pressure (usually 60-70 at the bottom measurement, I apologize as I do not know the name for that measurement). I also have anxiety and depression, I only have anxiety and depression every time any pain hits me (Not only headaches, any type of pain around my body). I even had panic attacks from my anxiety occasionally. I also have hypochondriac, which makes me extremely anxious about my health issue (I had a heart imaging scans back in May for unexplained chest pains, but it turns out everything is fine). Besides, I do not have any injuries to my head for a very long time (yes, back when I was like 14 I got a ball kicked onto my head but I do not think it is a contributing factor to these headaches).

I am having an MRI scan in a few weeks time and I do really hope it wasn't anything particularly serious (I did not have the scans during the past few months because my parents does not believe that it is anything serious, but yet I have their agreement this time as the headaches happened very often for quite a long time already).

I have been really desperate to know what's going on with me and I hope I have specified and clarified everything I knew about my headache issue. I really hope anyone here in this forum can give me any suggestions or advice, or perhaps an answer to my detriments over the 6 months that I have been suffering from.

I do appreciate any replies to discuss further about it. Thank you very much.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Alex,

Sorry, I'm not a doctor but I do relate to what you are saying; just add a sprinkle of tinnitus and earache, in my case.

My issues started in early childhood and the thought at 15 was that it was migraines due to the throbbing; but I also had dental issues along the way (tooth and gum abscesses - but can you really focus on oral hygiene when in that much discomfort?) and I would also get feverish, congested and swelling/spasms around my eye. Usually it was one sided but as I have gotten older its now both - never at the same time but can be concurrent.

I would like to tell you things got better for me over the next 27 years but they haven't. At 25, I started to have neck issues. I realise now that my neck was taking the strain of my attacks; keeping my head tilted used to stop the pain or at least keep it at bay. I focused on this being the cause for the next 10 years and my Osteopath was good at relieving some of the neck and shoulder problems; which in turn reduced the headaches. (Their diagnosis was potential ME and the constant headaches was a blood/brain barrier infection - considering that's either meningitis or encephalitis, I decided maybe another opinion was for the best).

Things got worse in my late 30's and I have been through hell to finally get somewhere close to an initial diagnosis of Trigeminal Neuralgia.

The current thought process from my neurologist for me is migraines with 1 or more Trigeminal Autonomic Cephalalgias - probably Hemicrania Continua (although this condition sits on the periphery of the TAC's).

Carbamazapine was the first medication I received but it made me manic. Gabapentin was my saviour, reduced my pain from a 9,99999 down to a 5. I have since been put on Propranalol to keep my blood pressure down (anger management and rage issues) and Indomethacin for the HC. I have also recently received Occipital Nerve Block injections for both sides of my head and I was tapering off the Indomethacin but the last 48 hours were so torturous I asked my Dentist to extract all of my teeth earlier today thinking Periodontitis was causing the TN- he said,'No'; but i have upped my Gabapentin dosage and I'm restarting the Indomethacin.

Unfortunately for me, I have been 'gaslighted' by doctors all of my life; having an uninterested father and clinically depressed mother didn't help in early detection and the physical conditions have led to psychological problems; depression, anger management issues, seclusion and most notably PTSD. I personally call it the Jekyll & Hyde Syndrome as you start to loose yourself in the pain and misery of suffering alone.

Please do go and see a neurologist as if it is one of the TAC's, it will be degenerative, so plan carefully now as it will impact your future.

Also, do not dismiss the psychological impacts this is having on you - PTSD is a possibility and understanding your condition will help you explain to your friends and family that an intangible torturer is F*ing with your head ; as you will need their help.

Good luck in your endeavours to find a solution that works for you.

All the best

Dave

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.