Changing steroid medication

Posted , 5 users are following.

My partner has been taking steroid medication for a lung condition. When he was gradually taken off this he became very ill and was told his adrenal gland was no longer working and he would need to take steroids for life. His gp immediately put him back on these steroids until he could see an endocrinologist. He told my partner he needed different steroids as he could not stay on the ones he was on long term however to do this he would need to come off the ones he was on and then start new ones meaning he would need to take a long time off work for bed rest whilst this is done. Another medic told him one lot of steroids could be phased out whilst another lot is phased in thus avoiding the weeks of feeling very ill during the swap over period. We are confused. Which one is right?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Dear Georgina,

As your partner has found, if your adrenal glands are not working sufficiently, you will feel terrible without steroids, but I am sure the second medic is correct, and a gentle changeover from one lot to another is the way to go. He is probably on Prednisolone, and will probably need to change to hydrocortisone for treatment of his current adrenal condition, which could be Addison's disease. He should very quickly get an appointment with an endocrinologist, as they will probably need to do a diagnostic test to confirm if this is so It could just be that he was weaned off the steroids for his lung condition too quickly, and as they will suppress the adrenal glands, it may just be taking a long time for them to take up proper function again. Whichever it is. the endocrinologist will be able to determine and decide treatment. Good luck getting him sorted out.

• Posted

Dear georgina

i am in same position as your partner was tomorrow I change to hydrocortisone as my prednisolone was reduced too quickly and made me ill. I have a lung condition too. I am to see an endocrinologist next month. How did your partner do? 

• Posted

Hi Julie,

I'm afraid I cant help much. e was change to hydrocortisone then he had to be chaged back to the original steroids and has only just made the change back to hydrocortisone again.

I'm afraid his condition eems quite complex and they havent really sortd it out yet so he is still battling for answers.

Good uck with your treatment

• Posted

The steroids he is on are probably prednisolone - which can be iffy if taken long term, though they can make you feel very lively and well and happy.  It makes sense to phase one out and phase one in.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.