Changing TSH

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm puzzled and hope someone can help.  

I have Graves and went to see my GP as I had a rash.    I'd had my bloods checked ten days previously.  TSH came back as 5.4, but my T4 hadn't been checked as requested.   My GP said he thought my Thyroxine should be in increased by 25 mcgs to 75 mcgs daily as my TSH was rising.   Before I started the increased dose I had my bloods checked again.    T4 was 15 and my TSH 2.63.   So in ten days my TSH had dropped from 5.4 to 2.63.   I don't know what to think about this.   Has anyone any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

For myself, I prefer my TSH to be around 1.5, occasionally on my journey it has risen to 2.5 but that's as high as I let it go without making some kind of adjustment to meds or supplements to lower it.  You may have Graves and Hashimoto's combined.  If so, your thyroid is going to be extremely sensitive to prescribed meds, either thyroid hormone blocking meds or thyroid hormone increasing meds .  From the posting of Hashi patients on this Board, they seem to do better regulating their thyroid levels with natural supplements as opposed to prescribed meds.  I would ask your doc if he could check for Hashimoto antibodies and if present, research natural treatments for this.  I will email you more info on this.

• Posted

I think it would probably be a good idea to see an endocrinologist instead of a GP. They'll have a better idea how to handle everything.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.