Charcoal tablets

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has any one else tried my suggestion of taking charcoal tablets.They have worked well for me .Reduced the pain of gut spasms considerable.They are not a cure but I found most of my pain was wind being traped on the bends of the gut where the blow outs where.Worth a try. I cleared it with my GP and he put them on prescription for me (of a age where my prescriptions aree free).

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I don't feel I need them just yet, however it's always good to have another string to the bow, so I will keep it in mind.
  • Posted

It's pleasant to reduce discomfort, but one's got to remember what's happening that gives rise to the symptom of gassing-up:  You get bloated because food is breaking down in a confined space.  If you use something to effectively 'absorb' the gaseous products of that breakdown, you are still left with the solids - but nothing to tell you that they're building-up in diverticular pockets. Sounds like a 'time bomb' to me - and one that may cause an acute reaction a little later on if you don't empty the pockets before infection sets in. 

I'm not of free prescription age just yet, but the only medication I have used for the past three years is Bisacodyl.  It's a stimulant laxative that if taken at the rate of one 5 mg tablet just once a week, makes the diverticulosis management so very predictable.  I have still (touch wood!....) never suffered a repeat of diverticultis since the original diagnosis several years ago.  This I wholly attribute to the once every 5-to-10-day radical clearout usng Dulcolax (Bisacodyl).  In my case daily 'output' is fairly normal in frequency, volume and texture.  It's just after the 4th day that things slow up to the point that I feel 'less flexible' in the abdomen.  Depending on how active I need to be over the following few days, I make a judgement as to when to evacuate all build-up in the colon.  A night-time 5 mg dose and I'm 'sorted' by around 4 pm the following afternoon! 

This strategy sounds radical, but it makes life more predictable for me - eliminating all pain and just leaving tolerable discomfort when leaning towards a 10 day reset.  But I'm right as rain by the evening after!

As I said, I'm not yet of retirement age and so other bits of my metabolism don't seem to react against this treatment.  Difficult to know if my method is better or worse for a dodgy heart, for example.  So, please relate this to your doctor - and maybe come back and tell us all what they thought too.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread hydro - just a bit concerned by what I see as possibly masking the underlying issues (.....or lack of!).

Cheers,

Peter.

• Posted

I haven't heard of the charcoal but have read about slippery elm however, the list of NO GO foods is horrendous.  I consulted someone at my health food store who gave me the following list to avoid:

No gluten, sugar, wine, tea, coffee, strawberries, blackberries, bananas

And that was just the start ... not great for a vegetarian either 

• Posted

I tried slippery elm once. Never again. I think it clashed with other meds. Gave me horrendious stomach craps.
  • Posted

Hi sorry to hear that the slippery elm didn't work.  I have to say I have not yet tried it but the more I read the more I'm guessing that what works for one may not work for someone else.  Hope you are feeling OK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.