Cheap statins causing lots of side effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

Just thought I should share this with you.

My husband has been getting side effects with statins, particularly aching feet.

He has type 2 diabetes and when he told his diabetic nurse about this she told him that he was probably taking cheap statins and advised him to see his GP and ask for the more expensive refined ones which have fewer side effects.

I couldn't believe my ears when he told me so I thought I would share this with you in case it is happening to you.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Well you can try the original brand. Frankly, I doubt it will make a difference. Good luck.
  • Posted

Thank you Cherr.  For now I am going to stop taking them all together and see if there is an improvement.  Good luck to you and your husband.
  • Posted

According to the FDA's website a statin is a statin when it comes to side effects, and diabetes is one of the side effects.  If your husband already has diabetes I can't think of a more dangerous drug to be on.  I have heard of people dying of diabetes.

Keep surfing this site for the true story of statins.  Please don't take them unless there's no other way.  And then be sure you want to take them at all just on GP, since I have read that the jury is out as to whether cholesterol is really the cause of heart problems anyway.  I have read that the 2 are not necessarily related, and that we are getting all our testing info on that from the drug companies themselves.

Isn't that a little like having the fox guarding the henhouse?

• Posted

My dr did tell me that with heart medications and blood pressure meds it is important to get the brand and not the generic brand

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.