Cheese sets off a migraine, whats an alternative? Dairy free cheese?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello all,

Hope someone can help? Cheese aged or not aged which I totally love sets off migraines for me and I want to know what is an alternative?

I tried a dairy free, vegan and lactose free cheese but still got a migraine sad 

I have heard it is tyramine that forms as the proteins in cheese break down over time which probably cause the migraine, but even mozzarella cheese causes me migraines and I check the date to make sure its not aged. So what else could it be if its not Tyramine??

Can anyone recommend an alternative? 

thanks in advance

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Cheese can also have DYE in it like tartrazine & others, which can cause Migraines...try an un-aged cheese w/o color (Mozzarella, Ricotta &etcc)limit the amount start w/small pieces...to be sure..Best Wishes💟Hope you get some cheese you can eat🧀

• Posted

The other replies have great advice, such as identifying and avoiding your migraine triggers. I'd recommend taking a lactose digestive enzyme such as Lactaid if you find yourself accidently eating cheese. I also have dairy sensitivity, and take enzymes to prevent symptoms but, please consult with a doctor prior to the above mentioned. Talk to a doctor about your migraine and get tested to find your triggers. For the meantime, steer clear from any kind of cheese unless a professional says you're okay to do so. .

• Posted

Thanks, well cheese is the only food that sets of a mirane, even a tiny amount. I have heard cottage cheese should have very low Tyramine but I scared to try it incase it does. Im ok with Dairy though ie milk, cream etc.
  • Posted

i'd probably just stop cheese if I were you. Sorry sad

• Posted

It's so funny. I crave cheese when I have a migraine. In my case, most of my headaches are probably due to a need for more magnesium. I concur with others, Just stop eating cheese. You love cheese but it doesn't love you back. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.