Chemo drug??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone ever heard of anyone being given a course of chemotherapy for PMR? Someone I know said she had it a couple of years ago. She's now on 1 mg of PRED but has to have 80mg boosts? I wonder.....well ya know lol

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

That sounds like a bit of fantasy to me. 1mg pred and 80mg boosts????? Think I'd rather have a real oral dose...

She may have been on methotrexate - which is also used for chemotherapy at much much higher doses. Or she may have a weird rheumy who gave her a vasculitis treatment - cyclophosphamide which is also a chemotherapy drug. But it is very rarely used for GCA and I've never heard it used for PMR.

• Posted

Yes... Exactly what I thought... She's one of those people who is always ill. And if you've got it, she's got it worse. I asked how much pred she was taking , it was only when I told her I was on 20 that she told me about the boosts. Her Rheumy was same as mine. I have found him excellent so far(only 2 visits,). .... But he can only go on what she's telling him I suppose. I was just a little alarmed that I might have to have it.... Being new to this.

On a positive note day 12: I feel a lot better already. Except Fri, I think I over did it Thursday because I felt well and paid for it Fri. Rheumatology physio this week... Whatever that is . Lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.