Chemotherapy for CLL

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

In December 2016 I was diagnosed with CLL (Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia).  In the past six months my white cell blood count has increased from 45 to 75 and my haematologist has told me that I will probably have to have chemotherapy some time in 2018.

I've been told it will be a combination of intravenous infusion and tablets and I'll obviously find out more about it when the time comes.

Can anybody give me an idea of what to expect when I start chemo?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi. My chemo was for Diffuse Large B Cell Lymphoma but I would think chemo is chemo at the end of the day. I'm so sorry that you have been given this diagnosis but I'm sure your treatment will not be half as bad as you might think. Chemotherapy affects everyone differently and I did not find it nearly as bad as I thought it would be. The medical professionals are now very on top of dude effects caused by this treatment and providing you follow their instructions to the letter you will probably find that there is nothing that you can't cope with. My biggest fear was nausea and vomiting but I took the tablets given to me and had neither. Stay positive and keep your mind set on the end game, remission! I'm happy to answer any questions and to listen, live your life - it's far from over.

• Posted

Hi JoyKF53,

Thanks for your reply.  It's nice to know I'm not alone!

I have a few questions if you don't mind.

Was your chemo in "cycles"?  I understand that for CLL a cycle is chemo for a week and then three weeks off, and it takes between six and twelve cycles to get into remission.

If you drive, were you able to drive after chemo?  I know this is petty, but I'm 67, on a small pension, and can't afford taxis to and from my hospital.  I may be able to arrange hospital transport but, with the way the NHS is funded at the moment I'm not sure if that will be possible.  Sorry, I don't mean this to be a political statement but it seems to be the way of the world these days.

• Posted

Hi. Yes, my chemo was in cycles just as you said. I was tired and a it iffy for a few days after each cycle but was absolutely fine in time for the next one. Because I had caught my cancer in the very early stages (stage 1a) I only had 3 cycles but that was followed by 17 daily sessions of radiotherapy to mop up any stray cells. As for driving, my husband was my taxi but to be honest I was quite well enough to drive myself. But as I said before, everybody reacts differently. You may find, depending on where you live, you could get taxi fares refunded, it would be worth asking maybe the Macmillan team, depending on your circumstances. Or maybe Age Concern (I too am in my sixties so I'm not being rude lol). Social services might be worth a try, I know they have special benefits for patients with long term illnesses. Please let me know how you get on, keep in touch, you're not on your own.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.