Chesain and chronic cough. Anyone?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have a chronic cough that is getting worse and mild chest pain radiating down the inside of left arm. My lungs don't feel right and the cough is getting worse daily. I have just had a chest x-ray but no results yet. I have been on 20mg carbimazole for 5 weeks and more blood tests next week. My T4 has reduced from 47 to 29. TSH is stil <0.01.

​i am worried about my chest pain and lungs. is this a common occurance with hyperthyroidism? i am still waiting for a scan of my thyroid to be done, but there are no visible or palpable lumps or bumps.

thank you. ​i="" am="" worried="" about="" my="" chest="" pain="" and="" lungs.="" is="" this="" a="" common="" occurance="" with="" hyperthyroidism?="" i="" am="" still="" waiting="" for="" a="" scan="" of="" my="" thyroid="" to="" be="" done,="" but="" there="" are="" no="" visible="" or="" palpable lumps="" or="" bumps.="" thank="">

​i am worried about my chest pain and lungs. is this a common occurance with hyperthyroidism? i am still waiting for a scan of my thyroid to be done, but there are no visible or palpable lumps or bumps.

thank you.>

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi, a number of Hyperthyroid patients, including myself (I am Hyper/Graves), have had chronic coughs for a long time.  Drives me mad, forever coughing and having to clear my throat, then seems to lighten up for a while and then comes back but over the last 3 years since first being diagnosed, I seem to get cold after cold.  I can only put it down to our immunity being so low because of this dreadful disease. I read an article in which one Endocrinologist described Hyperthyroidism as "the body in crisis" - and that is a perfect description !  You have to "liken" the thyroid to an engine and if the engine has a problem, the vehicle isn't going to run/work properly.  Having a thyroid that is not working properly causes ALL KINDS of symptoms and problems.  After 3 years, I am STILL having palpitations and have been booked for an ECG next week, I think the palpitations are due to not having found the correct dose of medication for me which I'm hoping has now been sorted out.  I was taking 40mgs Carbimazole and 100 micrograms Levy Thyroxine on Block & Replace treatment (which didn't work for me) so now I am on the Carbimazole Titration treatment of 10 mgs Carbimazole a day and NO thyroxine and I'm just beginning to feel better - I don't think Thyroxine agreed with me and one of the side effects of taking that is that it can cause palpitations (if the dose isn't correct and you are not monitored as regularly as you should be - which I wasn't !). I think you're x-ray will come back as normal and the cough is just part and parcel of this disease for some, unfortunately.  The best advice I can give and the hardest to follow is TRY to rest as much as possible and TRY very hard not to get too stressed about your condition because stress is a big trigger to make your Hyper symptoms worse.  Also, remember that you are not alone with this - there are thousands of us in this state.

Best wishes

Christine

• Posted

Thanks, Christine. I hope everything settles for you soon. It sounds like you've been on quite a journey.
  • Posted

Hi evergreen, your T4 value has reduced significantly showing that you are responding well to Carbimazole. In my case TSH stayed low for almost half a year before rising slowly to normal range. 

When you started taking Carbimazole your doctor must have mentioned that some patients might experience a side effect called bone marrow suppression. This side effect leads to a reduced white blood cell count, the cells responsible for providing immunity. Patients with a reduced white blood cell count are more prone to getting infections typically involving the mouth (ulcers) and throat (sore throat) but it can also affect the lungs.

It is important to know that bone marrow suppression can occur anytime during treatment even if Carbimazole was tolerated well before and even if the dose of Carbimazole is low. 

Do you have any recent blood tests showing your white cell count? Is it within normal range?

If you do not feel well you might want to go to your GP for an emergency full blood count. 

• Posted

Thanks. I had tests 10 days ago and although white cells were low (they were before carbimazole), it said 'no action'. I have another blood test next Wednesday.
  • Posted

I agree with Dan.  I had a TSH of 0 for the first two years while I was on a dose of Methimazole of 10 mg.  Then I added supplements and my TSH started to move.  I have also had a chronic cough but it started before my Graves and occurred with two bouts of pneumonia, one called "walking pneumonia".  I would be concerned about the chest pains and think you should go to an Emergency Department.
    • Posted

Thanks. I have been referred to the chest pain clinic and am waiting for an appointment. I haven't had any severe pain now since monday, just dull aches and twinges.
    • Posted

i would like to know the outcome of this chest pain appoitment if it's alright.  I had few chest pains during the start of methimazole when I first diagnosed.  Now that I've been stable I haven't had episodes of chest spasms.  So I'm just curious
    • Posted

I have an appointment on Thursday 12th May. Typically, my chest pains have reduced a great deal as I think I am getting closer to euthyroid. I am sure they were angina. Thankfully I no longer feel as though I could collapse with a heart attack any minute. The last scary episode was Monday. I'll post any findings here. I'm expecting them to be normal now as things have improved so much and hopefully will be even better by Thursday.
  • Posted

I ussually get a chest pain when my body feels that I have too much methimazole even though my tsh was not registering.  Just needed to lower my dosage.  Some say I might have hasshimoto but I need to get tested on that or its a whole new other topic.  Advise: Get blood test done for T4 and TSH again maybe your dosage needs adjusting.  Coughing probably due to low immune system that's what the methimazole or any ...zole will do.  I added Multi vitamins supplement without iodine for me so at least helps me combat these pesky colds from others.  Yesterday, I think im getting a sore throat.  So Today I'll probably call in the endo office to get another darn bloodtest just to make sure it's not a·gran·u·lo·cy·to·sis - a deficiency of granulocytes in the blood, causing increased vulnerability to infection..  
    • Posted

Thanks. I have yellow spots on my tonsils but they've been there a while. I'm having bloods done again next Wed and they were last done 10 days ago.
    • Posted

Just been to the dosctors and now have some antibiotics with instructions that if I develop a fever to go to A&E. Thanks for all your help.
  • Posted

I also have had a dry cough and chest pain. Ended up having 3 days in the cardiac care unit and was thoroughly checked out. The heart is fine! Also the lungs.

Interstingly my blood levels for my thyroid are also normal ( for the first time in 3 and a half years). Having lots of muscle aches and lethargy, but not worried about the heart now.

• Posted

That's really interesting. I wonder what causes it. Glad to hear your heart is fine. I went for my investigations last Thursday and was found to have some rhythm abnormalities with exercise, but resting ECG was fine. I had to wear a monitoor for 72 hours but I was forced to remove it after 50 hours because I had a bad allergic reaction to the stickies and came up in a really sore rash. I didn't have any of my episodes of chest pain whilst wearing it, but I did get some palpitations. I should hopefully hear by the end of the week, or early next week if there is anything amiss.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.