Chest and back pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

So I was diagnosed with multiple pulmonary emboli last year. I came off blood thinners I think about 5 months ago roughly. I have regular d-dimers all of which have come back low. I have been having chest pain on and off since then and it got a bit better but now I am getting other symptoms and feeling quite unwell. I don't know if it is my lungs, heart, spine or a neurological condition. I keep getting this horrible feeling around the top of my spine below my neck to the left and right. It feels unpleasant and hot and makes me feel quite sick. I don't have it all of the time it comes and goes every couple of days. I still get pleuritic pain but the other day I got really bad central chest pains and rapid heartbeat up to 170 bpm when I took a short walk. I have also been experiencing quite bad headaches on and off. I was also getting a really sharp pain in my left side of my chest the other day. I regularly take my blood pressure which is normal and I have a pulse oximeter which is ok. The lowest my oxygen goes to is 90 and is worse when my hormone levels change every month, most of the time it is around 94-96.

I am aware that some people can have pain for quite a while after pulmonary emboli, but I had no lung infarction and the pain feels different than what I experienced before. One more thing, I only experienced this once, but it was a pain under the front of my right shoulder that lasted a few hours. It also made me feel sick.

Has anyone else had these symptoms and do you know what they could be?

0 likes, 5 replies


5 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi I'm sorry you are struggling with all these symptoms and I think if it was me I would get myself off to the doctors. Even if it's nothing it's obvious it's worrying you and that's going to make you feel even more anxious which in the long term will make those pains etc feel even worse.

    Sometimes it's best to get support and a firm diagnosis that you can deal with one way or another

    Report Reply
    • Posted

      Unfortunately my doctor has a months waiting list, I was thinking of going private but wasn't sure which type of doctor to see. I was thinking neurologist, but didn't want to waste money if it could have been a cardiologist or a respiratory specialist I needed to see.

      Report Reply
    • Posted

      I am in th UK but to be honest I don't really trust a GP or a nurse at a walk in center to know much more than someone on this website who has actually experienced my symptoms. My PEs were misdiagnosed for ages until I went private. Everything from muscular skeletal pain to indigestion! If it was easy to get an appointment with a gp I would, but I have to go through making a phone call in a 830 - 900am time slot where it is permanently engaged!

      Report Reply
    • Posted

      Go into the surgery and ask for an emergency appointment, don't take no for an answer as they cannot refuse you no matter what they tell you

      Insist and get sorted instead of worrying yourself to death.

      As for walk in centres I have to say I have always found the doctors to be on the ball and caring

      Report Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up