Chest, Back & Right Shoulder Pain

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi folks.

There's a long(er) version of this story but I don't want to bore you all.

8 weeks I've had an intense stabbing pain that starts in the upper back, spreads to the right shoulder and shoots through to the sternum. Painkillers don't do anything for the pain, neither does Rennie, Rapidol, Zantac or Gaviscon.

The last 3 weeks I've also had intermittent tight chest and shortness of breath to accompany it.

So far I've been "diagnosed" with acid (prescribed omeprazole) and a stomach ulcer (told not to eat spicy, creamy, alcohol, pastry or hot). Neither of these diagnoses were accompanied with anything more than an explanation of the singular pain symptom, a prod at the chest and a blood pressure check.

I've since had an ECG, blood tests and a chest x-ray - all came back "normal".

I'm waiting for an abdominal ultrasound.

The shortness of breath started during my last week of omeprazole (4 week course) and has continued since (2 weeks off it now).

The pain isn't generally as strong as it was (8/10 down to 5 or 6/10) but it still happens multiple times a day.

The last doctor I saw admitted they weren't sure what it could be as the symptoms don't fit any standard box, but mentioned chostocondritis.

It seems to come on randomly. Not always after food, not always same time of day, doesn't matter what food I've had etc.

I now have people telling me that they think the pain is in my head and that when I get a clear ultrasound I'll have no choice but to ignore it and it'll go away.

Has anyone ever had anything similar, can someone tell me I'm not going mad?

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry to hear what you're going through have you had your gallbladder checked? I Have the same problems to a T & they did a hida scan which showed a non functioning gallbladder! Good luck

• Posted

Not yet I haven't, I'm assuming that'll be checked when I eventually get the ultrasound..?

Amusingly/annoyingly, none of the 4 doctors I've seen bothered asking about any family history. Which I didn't think of at the time, but my mother had her gallbladder removed a few years ago, and I have multiple family members with colitis. 

I'm starting to think I need to find a new GP.

• Posted

I have the same thing going on. My shoulder/ back have hurt for 9+ years and no diagnosis. My chest pain just started about 8 months ago. I ha e had so many tests done and no answers. I know I'm not crazy but I'm beginning to think all doctors think I am. 

• Posted

We have ruled out and heart issues, Castro issues, costoskndritis. I've had EKG, endoscopy, chest X-ray, ultrasound, and esophageal dilation.

• Posted

You're not crazy, and neither am I.

Some people are telling me "you're only in pain cos you think you're in pain, think of something else and it'll go away".

Yesterday I had it happen in the middle of my karate class. Sensei saw it and immediatley made us take a break. If it can happen like that, and other people notice, how can it be in my head?

You mention you've had back/shoulder pain for ages. I've had issues with my right shoulder for about 4 or 5 years. I've always just thought it was tight muscles or overuse (right handed so made sense at the time), but now I'm wondering if there's more to it.

Massage, physio and osteopath helped it initially, but the relief only lasted for a day or so before it started again...

• Posted

Okay so I went through the same work up I'm only 26 I went through every heart test but the cath lab! I had an ultrasound of my gallbladder and all that and it just showed gallbladder thickening nothing else... ask for a HIDA scan it is the only test that shows the function of your gallbladder anything under 35% is non functioning but if you've had all the tests done like I have ask for the hida scan if your ultrasound shows nothing. My ultrasound didn't show any stones or inflammation but my hida scan showed it functioning at 20% and I am getting in removed in the next few weeks! Hopefully it all goes well! 

• Posted

My mom swears mine is gallbladder but ultrasound showed nothing. Guess I'll push further for a HIDA scan. Thanks!

• Posted

Yes!! My ultrasound showed nothing either and that was back in April I had another one just a few weeks ago and a ct and both showed nothing, but the ER doc said I think you need a hida scan so I went to my dr requested a hida scan and sure enough mines not functioning. The problem is, you can have stones and it not show on either or just sludge backed up! & I would highly suggest you request one! I went through all this testing and kept getting no answers I think my doctors were starting to think it was anxiety and I was like LISTEN I've never had these issues before I'm generally a healthy person aside from kidney stones, and I never go to the doctors office so for me to start coming in all of the sudden and going to the ER you know there's an issue! But I've also had pressure in my left side of my chest and sternum! Who knew we'll see after the surgery if it helps! I'm praying so! Good luck! Keep me posted! 🙂

• Posted

Oh and also for the first 3 months they said this was costochondritis and I had to argue with the doctors that it wasn't because anti inflammatory meds did not help at all! 

• Posted

Thanks so much! My mom went after docs for 20+ years about hers and was in the ER when it flared up real bad so they finally found the issue. No stones at all so nothing would show except during an attack. I think mine may be the same. I'll def ask for that! Thanks so much!

• Posted

Well I ended up phoning the hospital yesterday to see how much longer I'd have to wait for an appointment, turns out they had one available today.

I've only heard of a HIDA in passing since I started doing my own research, but as you say, if the ultrasound shows nothing I'll be asking about that. I have absolutely no doubt my doctors will tell me it's unnecessary (but when the first one simply said "I don't know what that could be, come back if it happens again" when I first presented with the chest pain, I have little faith in them anyway).

Any idea how long results take? I know technically they're on screen and can be given quickly, but all my other tests they've just told me my GP will talk to me..

• Posted

I hear you! I had my hida scan done Friday and results back Monday! Lol except a hida scan is one test they really can't hide the results! They stick a radioactive tracer in you and then your gallbladder after time shows up, after that they will then either inject CCK into you OR make you drink a shake drink to simulate what happens when you eat fatty foods... after about 30 minutes you return and get more pictures taken if your gallbladder is not visualized on the screen meaning it's not as bright as before then your gallbladder is working, if you can still see it then it's not working. Lol this is one test they usually tell you because they can't hide the results and they explain everything to you that's going on. It's a long test! I was there for almost 3 hours the only thing they may not tell you is what percentage it's working at luckily the lady told me but also told me not to say she told me. 🙂

• Posted

I know all about that anxiety cop out. I'm going through that now with my doctor. I have been complaining about this issue ( kind of just like yours) since may. I had another round of blood work drawn  today.  I can't stand the deep back pains. I'm scared even though I've had 4 x-rays and a CT SCAN in the past 5 weeks. All negative but  why am I having chest/lung issues? Now with back pains! I hate living without knowing what's going on inside me. I was a heavy smoker for 25+ years. 14 months tobacco free now. Anyway enough of me and I hope you find your health peace that you are searching for. Good luck with your operation .  

• Posted

Yes I'm starting to loose faith in my doctors! It seemed after doing ct scans, and the whole heart work up, that they couldn't find anything so they were just giving up. You have to be your own advocate you know something's wrong with you, you have to push for the answers. I did anyways I was not letting them tell me they did not know what was wrong anymore my answer was okay then find someone who does know! Nobody should be in pain everyday with out an answer as to why! 

• Posted

No gallstones, report will be with my doctor in 7-10 days.

More insistence from 3rd parties that it's all in my head and I should stop looking online for answers. The tests are back normal so there's nothing wrong. 😠

• Posted

YES I had periods where some days it didn't hurt! And I felt fine! Get a hida scan girly! I got my gallbladder taken out today! Not a fun start but I hope this solves the problems time

Will tell! 

• Posted

Hope the recovery goes well and that it does solve your problem!

I really, really hate doctors (probably cos I've always managed to be sent to crap ones that don't listen to me), and with the pain mostly gone, I don't feel they'll take me seriously.

Mostly now (the last 10 days) I'm stuck with a tight chest and only the occasional mild pain which kinda feels like someone grabbing the bottom of my shoulder blades from the inside. That then fades after an hour or so.. Weird.

Anyway, if it flares up again, I'm going straight to A&E and asking about a hida scan.

I'm 100% certain that my GP will just tell me I don't need one and throw random drugs at me.

• Posted

Sounds like a plan! Thank you me as well! It's rough so far but it'll be okay! Haha are we seeing the same doctors? Haha I kept getting the run around and a bag full of medicines that didn't help anything! Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.