Chest congestion, severe in the morning

Posted , 3 users are following.

[Trigger warning] [Vomit]

For several years now, I have had seasonal/chronic chest congestion. It gets worse during the winter. Twice, it has evolved into bronchitis, gets better in the spring, and then the congestion returns in the fall and progressively gets worse. I have to clear my throat throughout the day, but in the morning for about 30 minutes after I wake up, I have to actively (deliberately) cough up mucous out of my bronchial tubes, usually ending in my gag reflex eventually causing me to throw up mucous and saliva I have swallowed in my sleep. After this, it is usually over for a day or two. It is not bronchitis, because it is not infected, and does not adversely affect my overall fitness in any other ways. It just increases my risk fro bronchitis and pneumonia around winter time. I have been treated for this several times, but it returns every year, with no change in the symptoms. It's exactly the same as before. Any ideas on what this may be linked to?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Have you ever been treated for post nasal drip or reflux? Both of those conditions can cause chronic phlegm and chronic cough and need to clear throat. Also allergies. I'm going through this right now and have been since the first week of June. Started off as tight chest and then went into bronchitis I coughed for 6 weeks then the cough went away for about 3 or 4 weeks and then I woke up one morning with severe nasal congestion and I've had post nasal drip with a constant need to clear my throat or cough out phlegm ever since.

• Posted

I've been treated for post-nasal drip before, but it always returns within months. I have never been treated for reflux. I have mild heartburn after fatty foods, but it's never been a notable issue. I'm very familiar with my ongoing symptoms, but the doctors I have visited just said it was isolated cases of congestion or bronchitis.

• Posted

I never get heartburn but I sometimes reflux things up into my throat which apparently is called silent reflux where you don't reflux acid but your reflux bile which is more damaging and it can cause all of the symptoms you're having I'm not saying that's what you have or that's what's causing it just that it's an option. I have no idea what started mine or why it's been an ongoing issue now I'm 46 years old and have never had this problem and I don't smoke and I never have.

• Posted

I don't have any sort of reflux like that, fortunately. But unfortunately, I'm only 22, and this chest congestion has been going on consistently for about 4 years. And I don't smoke either.

• Posted

I have the same symtoms, but do not get bronchitis nor pneumonia , over 10 years ago I went to several doctors, and Dr. Alexander London a great ENT doc finaly told me what I had, it is Aleric Rhinontis, it is cause by pressure changes in the weather, also by my upset stomache, I ask what to do about it and he gave me a nasal spay & told me to take allergy meds, I said but I don't have allergies, he said your body thinks you do !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope this info helped, I don't know if you have seen an ENT doc or just your GP, but if you havent seen at ENT I would try that.Good Luck & feel Better smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.