chest pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm suffering with health anxiety and have just started CBT. Up until now Ive had an irrational fear that every ache or pain is cancer sad

However a few days ago I noticed a pain in my chest and am now worried. It can be across my chest or left breast area so naturally I'm fearing the worst. It can be an ache, twinge or stabbing pain, sometimes its in my back too. Ive tried to see if the pains just there when I think about it but thats constant so I can't tell.

My hubby thinks its heartburn. I did mention it to my gp last week when I went to get my sick note but she seemed to ignore my concerns maybe because it's nothing or she just thinks its down to health anxiety.

Has anyone else had anything similar?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

This is just how health anxiety works I'm afraid. No amount of reassurance from a doctor,or anyone here will help you at all. We constantly look for reassurance, but we also know that it doesn't help. Therapy is the right way to go, be sure to be honest about all the feelings and thoughts you have there. If CBT isn't working for you,then don't be afraid to ask for different therapy. There are many types of therapy, CBT is given first,but it doesn't work for everyone, other types of therapy are sometimes better
    • Posted

Hi what other types of therapy are there? I did have CBT a few years ago and it worked but now I try to use the same techniques and can't control it.
    • Posted

there are many types, CAT - which is cognative analytical therapy is very useful. a good therapist will choose the best model and adapt it for you, so its different for everyone.  A lazy therapist will hand out worksheets and it turns into a paper excercise.  The best way is to just ask a therapist what would be the best approach and that CBT is no longer effective
  • Posted

Hi Lynne, i have chest pain constantly in the same place as u describe which radiates across my back and shoulder blade and up my neck. My doc thinks its arthritus following a misdiagnosed chest infectiom but im not sure iv had it for weeks now and just seems to b getting worse but like u say is it because im thinking about it? Xx
    • Posted

Ask dr about indegestion my exactly the same as you all chest left boob and shoulder blade the indegestion meds did work x
  • Posted

I have Hun across my chest and Beside left breast my gp told me indegestion gave me meds and it stopped, I have stopped the course of tablets now but am going bac tomorrow for more as some of the meds we get for anxiety cause the indegestion if your anything like me you worries thinking it can't be that it must be bad but it's not. I took me telling my gp a couple of times about it before they have me the tablets to try hope this helps x
  • Posted

Thanks everyone. I did read that heartburn and indigestion can be brought on by stress and anxiety. I will try some meds and see if that helps x
  • Posted

Hi Lynne, 

I tend to get a number of psychosematic pains... for this reason I have stopped referring to medical books as I can usually induce the feelings myself, so it may be that your Dr hasn't paid much attention as they think that this is the reason behind your pains? 

As you say, it's difficult to gauge whether you actually have a pain, or are just thinking about it... It's the same as if you have a headache and someone asks you if you still have it/ Chances are, even if it had subsided it will return as you are then thinking about the headache you had! 

Maybe your husband could look to "test" you at a time when you are doing something, such as having a conversation that you are engrossed in perhaps. Maybe if he ambushes you with it, then you will notice whether you still have the pain when you are occupied doing other things. However you may still find that you feel it, as soon as he reminds you about it. 

If it continues, I think you need to speak to your doctor about it again. Even if it is anxiety-related, they should be doing something to help you, even if it is just trying to explain to you why they don't believe it is what you think it is. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.