Chest pain after Endoscopy. Possible esophagus perforation?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had and endoscopy performed on me this morning. I was sedated, and when I woke up I had some abdominal pain that I assume was caused by air used during the procedure. However, after a couple hours, I know have a sore throat, but what is scaring me is the chest pains that have begun. There is a dull pain at the bottom of my sternum that gets more intense when I swallow, even if I am not swallowing anything in particular. Should I be worried about a perforation or is this chest pain normal?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I was in pain for 2 days after my endoscopy in my throat and all the way down to my stomach. It hurt when I swallowed and drank hot drinks. I also had this weird tickle in my throat that felt cold. But then it got better. The risk of perforation is very small but if you are in any doubt, contact your doctor.

What were the results?if you don't mind me asking. If you had any inflammation the scope could have irritated it.

• Posted

i had three endescopies of which the first two were find afterwards with little or no complications. however after my 3rd scope, something just didnt feel right i had a sensation in my tummy that they actually did some damage during biopsy also i felt the scope going down my throat which i didnt feel before. ss a result of all this my appetite suffered and when i mentioned this to my doctor and consultant they said there is no connection between my loss of appetite and my endescopy. that was in october 2016 and im convined that some damage was done and my appetite is suffering as a result.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.