Chest pain and coughing

Posted , 2 users are following.

I got a bad chest infection in december since then i have had numerous chest infections a cough and discomfort in my chest. I have had x-ray, chest scan, a lung washout and a biospy. They can not find the cause. I am on steroid inhaler and an oral steroid also. Just finished more antibiotics for another infection. I'm still getting pain and discomfort.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi I had the same symptoms as you mentioned and my chest infection started in a December, by April I was diagnosed as a chronic asthmatic with no peridome, it wasn't in my family on either side and I was 22, literally I went from healthyin November to not being able to breathe by the April without strong steroids, inhalers and nebs, totally changed my life.  It turned out I had an unknown allergy to fungus/aspergillis which is everywhere on carpets, walls, old ventilation systems etc. and basically use breathe in the spores without knowing it.  If I had knownwhat I know now when I had the chest infection I may not have asthma today.  Did they give you an allergy test?  Not every hospital does them and you normally need a referral letter but they're painless and the result is very quick, it was how my allergy was discovered.  Also did they check your heart? 

• Posted

No, they didn't give me an allergy test, but when they done the lung wash out they said there was no evidence of fungus, no didnt check my heart. I'm normally healthy, am bringing the kids on holidays soon, just want to stay in bed as i feel so rotten.

• Posted

I only had the fungus show up once in my actual lungs.  The allergy causes mucus to build and the airways to tighten in response, you do get infections and pain plus shortness of breath but the fungus doesn't have to be actually in the lungs for it to cause a flare. They also have told me that some of the pain and breathlessness I'm experiencing at the minute might not be because of my respiratory system but because of the diaghram pressing on the lungs due to an issue in the digestive tract but that requires a gastroenterologist to investigate. The ECG shows if something is happening with your heart in the short term but they did an ECHO on mine recently to be sure.   Not sure if this is of any help. Dry hot air always helps my breathing and my asthma just seems to disappear maybe if you're going to the sun it will help.

• Posted

Find i'm a bit better when its warm and sunny, have another hospital appointment comming up so will ask for alergy and ecg tests. Thanks for your help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.