Chest pain, anxiety, lack of sleep - possible costochondritis diagnoses

Posted , 4 users are following.

End of June this year i experienced a really sharp pain in my left arm that went down to my fingers. Rested my arm up and a few days later it was okay.

But shortly after this I started experiencing chest pains. At the time I had a lot of emotional stress in my worklife and personal life. To begin with the chest pains were only every 2 days or so. Now the pains (4 months later) are daily even hourly.

In August the doc prescribed me Prednisolone which just seemed to make all the pains worse.

September - another doctor and ECG, bloods and xray all clear they suggest physio.

November - 6 weeks into physio and sometimes the pains have seemed to improve but in the last 2 nights they have massively increased whilst trying to sleep. Visited the doc today and they want to send me to the Angina clinic to rule out Unstable Angina!!! (Scary) Failing that, they are looking at Costochondritis.

I am 31, female, overweight, non smoker. The pains in my chest are sharp and stabbing mostly under my breasts (bottom of the ribcage) sometimes in my breasts. Sometimes in my left arm and sometimes in my jaw. Relieved somewhat by gentle walking, relieved by sitting with a good back support.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

What does this pain feel like?

How severe is it?

Do you feel sick or breathless with it?

How long does it last for?

Does it hurt when you press on your chest?

• Posted

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your response.

The pain is so sharp in the areas across my chests and lasts a few seconds and then goes away or another spot hurts.  The pain sometimes in a twinge 2/10, and sometimes more like 8/10.

And yes 100% when I press on my chest, neck, back, shoulders - everything is tender.

• Posted

Its musculoskeletal chest pain. Very common and not dangerous. Try doing some stretches and see if you can improve it. You can look up on google which stretchs to do for musculoskeletal chest pain.
    • Posted

Thanks Ben.  I've been going to PhysioTherapy for the past 6 weeks and doing stretches that they advised every night.  But to be honest, I just feel worse than before I went to Physio........

• Posted

I'm sitting here with an ice pack on my rib as I write! Like you, my pain moves around so many different places! But under my breasts on the top of rib cage is usually the worst. It didn't used to bug me when I was sleeping, but I have had a few times lately where I will wake up swearing someone stuck a knife in my rib cage. I think there is some swellling, or maybe it's just tender, because I had bought some new sports bras, all I can wear anymore, and went back to the old stretched out ones. I'm much older than you,66, but had an ekg, chest exray, blood work and all came back okay. I have fibromyalgia and the doctor put costochondritis and tietze on my chart. But it is frightening and I understand, believe me! I had never had breast pain with fibro but I have it now. Mine come and go, sometimes disappearing for a couple weeks, then here we go again! Most of the doctors I know are so terrified of being sued that they want to rule out everything and that is probably why they suggested the angina clinic.I was telling a friend today that I hurt in too many places for anything fatal!! Best of luck and hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

Thank you so much Pamie.  It truly is horrible.  I've always been an anxious person, so this is massively playing up my stress and anxiety with I feel is adding to the way I'm feeling.

I have some days where it is less painful, but I can't really remember a day in the past 4/5 months where I didn't feel anything.

People say they can have this for years which frightens me, My BF and family I feel are getting fed up with me complaining and freaking out all the time.

• Posted

Yes, I know I drive people nuts with my complaining! To me, I'm not complaining-I'm explaining! I had some pain yesterday but was so upbeat and full of energy, it was amazing! got a lot done and felt so happy! Today my spirits are in the cellar again and I feel awful! I haven't had vicodin for almost three months now, and seem to have far more pains and ailments than when I began taking it six years ago. Of course I'm six years older! Take care, and hang in there. This seems to be a good place to at least feel that you aren't a raving hypochondriac!lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.