Chest Pain Associated with Anxiety?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm Emily and for the past couple of days, I've been experiencing chest pains around my lower left rib cage, around my left breast and even up to my neck, along with this feeling of anxiousness and anxiety I can't shake. I feel like I can rarley take a deep satisfying breath. It's causing me to lose sleep and I don't feel like myself. I've never been diagnosed with anxiety or have history of severe health problems. I'm just worried this chest pain is something more serious. I feel like I'm dying or going crazy because of it. Distracting myself seems to help a little but not much. Can someone please tell me what may be causing this?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

This sounds like classic symptoms of anxiety but it is always a good idea to get checked out by your GP if only for the reassurance. Although anxiety can feel horrible it is not dangerous and can do you no harm whatsoever.
    • Posted

Earliery today I was helping my neighbor do some work around her house. Moving boxes and things. It distracted me, I felt little to no anxiety and the chest pain was minimal to non existent. Now I'm back home, just came back from a shopping trip, and my chest pain is there along with some pain in my neck and shortness in breath like I said before. Is there anyway to reduce the chest pain and anxiety? I've tried slowing my breathing but it's hard when I feel short on breath.
    • Posted

The fact that when you were distracted the anxiety went, surely shows you that it is just anxiety you are dealing with and nothing else. If it was something more serious it wouldn't go away even when distracted. Anxiety cannot harm you in any way. Yes, the breathing thing is difficult to do when short of breath. However your body knows what it's doing, it doesn't matter how short your breathing gets you will still be OK. Nothing bad is going to happen to you. It is just uncomfortable. Try having a warm/hot bath. When you see your GP ask him/her for some Propranalol, this reduces the heart palpitations and chest pain. It is just tight muscles caused by adrenaline. Can you distract yourself again by watching TV or reading a book or mag? you know it worked before. Or try doing some chores around the house or go for a brisk walk around the block to use up some of that extra energy that adrenaline is giving you. 
    • Posted

I'm trying to fall asleep now by reading a bookbefore I really settle down. I just rolled over and tried to sleep and felt this overwhelming feeling of panic, my chest pains returned and were very intense this time. I feel like crying and running to get my mom to take me to the emergency room. I know it would probably be a useless trip, ending with the doctors saying, "it's just panic attacks, you're fine." I read up on some breathing excersizes I can do, which helped. But now I'm back up with mild chest pain and I still want to wake my mom up. Every time I address this issue with her, she is convinced I'm talking myself into it and I just need a proper schedule. I want her to understand that I want help, I want a doctor to tell me that I am really fine and its all in my head. I want the pains to go away. This is the worst possible feeling and I want it to be over so I can sleep.
  • Posted

Hi, It is best if you could see a doctor. Since it is first time medicines might not give dependence either. I think this is performance related issue. Did you not do well in something recently? Try to go out, meet with people and help. Being helpful to others and being good will tell your body you are serving purpose. This will make you good and also try to talk to yourself achievement is not everything, especially "anyhow", real achievement is one you will feel internally. smile
  • Posted

Emily, the pains could be a result of anxiety, however I would check it out with a doctor just to make sure. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.