Chest pain — doctors can’t find reason.

Posted , 4 users are following.

i was diagnosed with bilateral PEs last year and have had pain off and on since.. blood clots are apparently gone, but have fluid at top of heart near the arch. i wake up with excruciating chest pains frequently -- usually on left side, stabbing pain. and i get pain on the left side near my armpit, as well. doctor gave me colchicine months ago which would have helped if it was musculoskeletal, but i am still getting intense pain. any ideas??

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi gracearnold12... heartburn, acid and gas for the past 2 years i think it is now and one night I got shooting pain(s) above my left breast; very intense pains...i figured it was a heart attack, but I got up and drank ginger ale and took rolaids and slowly I began to let out the air (gas) inside which led to the end of the pain...I did have underarm pain and joint pain in both arms; very painful and read it could be gastrointestinal. I did go to the Emergency room next day to have blood work and EKG which was done and I didn't have a heart attack according to the blood work and EKG...I thought well maybe it's a lymph node thing too where my lymph nodes are clogged because i felt a warm fluid shoot toward my underarm and also across my breast...I read drinking water with lemon in it can help alot with clogged lymph nodes so i tried that and low and behold it seemed to work as well as using a 4lb. weight and do some minor arm exercises which relieved the stiffness and underarm discomfort...try a different or NO deodorant too because it can be the deodorant causing burning under the arm... May I ask what this fluid is you speak of ? famotidine (Pepcid AC) over the counter for the acid, heartburn and gas does work pretty good for 24 hours...you may want to have a mammogram if your breasts aren't that sore...Try using a hot compress by putting it in the micro-wave for 40-45 seconds after you wet it with warm water (put in microwave safe dish/bowl) and place over the area where you get the pains or you can also try an ice pack on the area, but not for too long because you can get ice-burns...it does also help...these are just suggestions...I hope you get relief and figure out what it is...it is a scary feeling so maybe see another doctor...if you can take an anti-inflammatory or acetaminophen as it does also help with the pain...Good luck...get back to us...i tried the massage suggested online as well for clogged lymph nodes.....I know that certain medications can cause joint pain which would be close to the underarm pain...

• Posted

Hi Mary Beth, I have pain next to my left breast and under my armpit. I have had much testing and many ER visits but have always been told that everything is OK. I have never heard of clogged lymph nodes. What type of doctor would diagnose or treat that? I would really like to resolve this problem, which I have had for years! It is so painful! Thanks!

• Posted

Hi Nancy36508, I myself came up with clogged lymph nodes because my breasts, mainly my left were so hard and so sore as if maybe infected including the armpit plus part of my left arm was stiff up near the joint and then some aching in the rest of my left arm...so I said to myself maybe I have clogged lymph nodes and I used hot compresses; hand towels wet and put in microwave for 45 seconds (watch out-hot) and placed on the underarm, breast and also the upper arm...this did give me relief from the sense of swelling and the aching and stiffness so I tried to do this 3x or so per day and I also used ice packs which all helped...there are doctors of the lymphatic system and also check with your Primary Care Doctor and ask him/her to check you for swollen/clogged lymph nodes...I've read so much on what this could be and the closest I've come is the gastro-intestional acid reflux believe it or not for underarm pain and breast pain...after taking Pepcid (famotidine) I got almost immediate relief of breast pain and underarm pain so I figured it was acid reflux disease / gastro-intestional...my Primary Care doctor said Yes, sounds like a classic case of acid reflux..I still doubt it's all acid reflux and should have a mammogram I guess to rule out anything else.I also used a 4 lb. weight in my left hand and moved my arm out toward the left a few times which actually took the aching and stiffness away...I've always been healthy and never had this kind of thing or any sickness at all so it is very frustrating and worriesome I know. Do you get warm fluid like sensations by your underarm or over your breast ? that's what sent me to the ER because it was very painful and i thought the worst, but the tests came back negative and now they are much less intense; it's all so weird and so strange that i think exercising and home remedies; compression, ice and heat are probably the best thing after exhausting all types of doctors...I am going to tell my doctor i want to be tested for viruses and also internal shingles...when I go back in time I know I over-used both my arms and upper body so this probably is the root cause of the problem for me; over use and i did see 2 ortho-pedics also who just rolled their eyes and wanted to inject steroids which i haven't had done...it's a pain in the a**...Good Luck; take it easy and read about Evening Primrose; they sell this with the Vitamins-suppost to stop breast pain...? Also Vitamin B6 is suppost help restore muscles.. Sorry so long...keep positive in any case...

• Posted

I had multiple PEs and have recently come off blood thinners. I still get pain, but my d-dimer tests are low so I have to assume the clots are gone. I get the pleuritic chest pain as well, which is on my right side up to my armpit, sometimes I get a burning and pinprick sensation too. I take naproxen which helps a bit and sometimes codeine at night if the pain keeps me awake, but it gives me very weird dreams!

• Posted

Hi Gracearnold, Your pain sounds like what I have, and I have had it for several years! I get pain on the left side, next to my breast and below my armpit. I have had numerous EKGs, ER visits, bloodwork, and have always been told that everything is OK. The family doctor I used to see diagnosed it as costochondritis but tried to treat it with various medications, none of which worked. I changed to a new doctor practice a year ago, and they had me try physical therapy, which helped. But the pain is back. A few months ago I saw my gastroenterologist, who put me on Omeprazole 40. Last month I asked my cardiologist if I could have an echocardiogram, which I had, and it was normal. It is so frustrating because no doctor has been able to help me! Please respond back if you get some answers. Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.