Chest Pain for over a year, what could it be?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Over a year ago I started suffering with these chest pains. They just started out of the blue, nothing I could put my finger on as to what started them.

I'm a 20 year old female, healthy, I don't smoke or drink.

The pain is right in the middle of my chest where my rib cage meets if that makes any sense. It just comes all of a sudden with no warning at all and last for around 5-15 minutes then just goes! (one time it lasted 40mins & the paramedics were called). It's excruciating to the point where I'm in tears and find it difficult to breathe.

I booked an appointment with my dr and over the past year I've had ECG, MRI, Endoscopy & Biopsy all clear no problems at all? They first said it could be IBS/GERD and I was put on the FODMAP diet and RENITADINE which did nothing at all for my pain.

A couple of months ago I was discharged from my hospital and they said there was no more procedures they could do as everything was coming back clear, so they said it could be an anxiety/stress problem and gave me some tablets called AMITRIPTYLINE, at first I thought they were working until I started with the pain again. I'm now at a lose end and don't know what else do to.. Has anyone else got something like this or any answers?

Thank You & sorry it was long I just need to explain the whole situation.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hey, I've had chest pain and the symptoms you have just explained for up to 4 years. I've been on amitripyline for ages now. They help but the pain still manages to break through. All my tests have always come back clear and fine too. It's such so annoying.

• Posted

Hi Thanks for your reply,

gosh 4 years is a long time! I though having this pain for over a year was bad enough i feel for you. Yes i agree the Amitripyline does help from time to time but nothing seems to help for the pain, no matter what painkillers i take none seem to work. I know exactly what you mean with annoying, I just feel as though none of my friends/work collegues understand me and they would look at me like 'here we go she's at it again' because i'd have the pain then 10-15mins later it would go, im sure most of them look at me as if im making it up to get out of something!

• Posted

So sorry this is happening. Do you have any other symptoms with it? Shortness of breath? Fatigue? Racing heart? Pain in the area when you touch it? Waking at middle of night in pain?

If you can reproduce your pain by touching that area..:it's more than likely muscular in nature.

It could be esophageal spasm. Feels like a heart attack. Comes on quick but obviously isn't your heart. Google it and see if it fits.

Unexplained chest pain for over a year is not normal. You should advocate for yourself until you figure it out.

• Posted

Hi, Thank You for your reply

I do get shortness of breath with the pain and sometimes my feet or hand will start tingling (my mum had to phone the paramedics once as my arms went numb and I couldn't feel them or move them at all) The paramedic told me that because I wasn't breathing right it was causing this and was on the verge or passing out.

I also become very tired once the pain has gone I feel as though I have no energy and could sleep a week, it's very annoying and upsetting especially if I'm out somewhere I start feeling faint and dizzy if I can't sit down or catch my breath because of the pain.

Whilst at the hospital I was asked to press in that area and was asked if the pain was set on by doing this and it wasn't. The dr also pressed in the area and asked me to move in different positions but nothing happened.

The dr just said to me it's nothing to worry about as I'm a healthy young female who is active and doesn't smoke. But it's not the fact that it's worrying it's more the fact that when it happens it effects my everyday life I dread going places I've not been before or going out with people who don't understand this in case i get the pain.

• Posted

Sounds to me like it could be gall stones..when attack happens it is meant to be same pain as heart attack. I remember sitting up with my back against a radiator where it was so hot it burnt my skin just to get the pain to subside in centre of my chest. These are unpredictable as they can pass but reform quicklyy showing nothing wrong. I had this problem after having my daughter as i suffered so bad with pregnacy sickness my stomach lining was coming up as well....causing gall stones. When they removed the gall bladder the whole thing had contracted around the stones it was awful. Anyway thats a possibility i was only 23 my daughter just 5 minths old when this happened 18 years ago so sure the operation is better now. Theres light at the end of the tunnel but you must insist you get ultrasoumd and even operation as they believe young women do not have gall bladder problems which is rubbish...let me know how it goes i feel your pain xxx

• Posted

Hi, Thank You for replying,

My mums friend had the exact same problem with gall stones and had to have hers removed she told me i was probably suffering with the same thing and should get it checked out.

Me and my mum asked the Dr numerous times if there was any posibility that it could be gall stones, there reply was l'm healthy and too young for it to be gall bladder problems. I forgot to mention i did have an ultrasound scan when i was taken into hospital after phoning the paramedics but as it came back clear and the pain had gone they had to send me home as there was nothing else they could do for me except book me for different tests. I've had lots of blood tests all of the test's done above but because everything comes back clear and they say im healthy theres not much more they can do for me. It's just really frustrating that over a year ago I was loving life and was able to go out and do anything, now i feel as though if i go to a new place i have to plan everything incase it happens or if i meet new people and i get this pain they won't understand xxx

• Posted

Hmmm. Any palpitations? Do u exercise? Is pain worse after exercising? Like not during b later that evening?
    • Posted

I ha exact same problem tried to palm me off as i was 23 wasnt overweight and was fit first ultrsdound at a e was also clear. Finally got a proper ultrasound where you lay on one side and they look at back as well as front and lady went and got doctor as couldnt find my gall bladdet turned out it had contracted so much around stones it was hard to see. No blood test show gall stones either and even surgeon didnt think it was correct but after surgery he showed me how bad it was they took out whole gall bladder in the end.. my advice keep pushing until they listen. The pain only gets worse each attack..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.