Chest pain for two months that hasn't gone away

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've had this chest pain in my chest for two months now, that hasn't gone away. I've had a chest x-ray, it was clear. And I've had an ecg, it was clear. The pain started out of nowhere, and it is mostly on the left side of my chest, but spreads to the right side, and sometimes the middle. It can range from just a tiny bit of pain to being horrible. It was only when I breathed at the start, but now it's constant. I've also been getting recurring chest infections, and pains in my back and arms. The pain is like a sharp stabbing pain, or can be a weird pressure on my chest. I've also been very out of breath lately, if I walk up and down the stairs I'm gasping for air, but I was fine a few weeks ago. I've taken anti-inflammatory meditation, but it hasn't worked at all. I have a blood test tomorrow, but I'm getting to the point where I'm worried. I've always been healthy, and have had no health problems prior to this. I'm only in my teens aswell.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like you mat have pleurisy possibly from the chest infections. Is the blood test you are going to have a d-dimer?

• Posted

I'm not sure about the blood test, I wasn't given much detail. The results should be back within a week, and I have my next appointment in ten days, so hopefully they come back fine!

Pleurisy symptoms are a lot like mine, but I read that it's like an inflammation, and I took anti-inflammatory medicine(my doctor gave me more today) but it didn't help. I'm pretty sure he gave me vimovo, it's a painkiller and anti-inflammatory medication. Thanks for your reply! 😃

• Posted

When you go to your doctors next, ask if they took a d-dimer if it isn't mentioned to you. Do you get palpitations?

• Posted

Yeah, I get palpitations sometimes. I'll make a mental note to ask.

• Posted

look up pulmonary embolism or emboli. You mentioned in your post that you were in your teens, which isn't the usual age someone would get something like this but it does occasionally happen, that is why I mentioned the d-dimer blood test. I was diagnosed with multiple pulmonary emboli a year and a half ago, I went to my gp and A&E more than once and no one ever thought to give me a d-dimer. I had to get a private chest CT scan with contrast in order to find out. The blood test will indicate whether you need to get a CT or not.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.