Chest pain/neck since Nov 2017, not sure what to do

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

Male/30

I've had intermittent chest pain since Nov 2017, I can describe the pain as dull aches/pressure/muscle tightness. It never stays in one spot, I usually only feel one spot at any given time. I uploaded a terrible pic of all the known spots. If I apply ice or heat to my chest I usually just don't feel it. If I'm exercising, I don't feel it, but like 30 minutes after exercise I can feel it. If I'm doing activities with others, I don't really feel it.

- One really weird thing, if I touch the chest area or neck area, I stop feeling it.

- Sometimes if I press on sternum or different parts of my chest it feels tender, but not always

- I used to lift weights (for 10 years), but this year I've significantly reduced my weight lifting (which has been frustrating to do)

- I've had a cough most of my life, it got alittle worse after I quit smoking marijuana a year ago, but its gotten better.

- I've taken all different types of pain relievers, not sure if they are even working or not.

During Nov 2017, I saw my PCP, they took an xray (normal), did an EKG (normal). Prior to this in July I had a normal blood test. I had a physical this year, blood work was all normal (in july). 

- I was tested for asthma, it came back negative. (however someone told me I wasn't tested for asthma properly - they only checked if my first breathing test was normal, instead of seeing if I had better lung function with an inhaler)

- I've never been tested for allergies, but it is likely I have some allergies.

- I saw blood (fairly small amount, have to really look closely) in my spit (with and without coughing). Told my doctor, he wasn't concerned. Saw an ENT, they weren't concerned. Consulted another physcian (friend), wasn't concerned with the amount/consistency (happened like 4/5 of times I think between 2017-2018)

- I've taken acid reflux medication for near 2 years, never had heart burn prior, not sure why it was recommended. I am currently trying to ween off of it. These meds don't help this problem, however I've noticed if i abruptly stop taking them I feel burning in my stomach.

I've seen an ENT 4/5 times between 2017-2018, they've put a scope down my throat and seen nothing except signs of rhinitis and turbinate hypertrophy.

In 2017 I saw a sports medicine doctor, he said I had costochondritis. He was pressing on middle of chest and it hurt, however this went away, but above symptoms never went away (sometimes my chest is tender tho, not all the time)

I'm concerned it's something worse (I worry a lot about my health), any ideas or suggestions would help?

Thanks

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

If you used to smoke it would be a good idea to get a CT scan with contrast. It could be lung related. The quicker you catch problems with the lungs the better.
    • Posted

I asked my doctors (my PCP and a few other doctors) if they thought getting one is a good idea, they didn't think it was necessary based on all the symptoms (and lack of other symptoms) and my age.

Also I don't smoke cigarettes, I just smoked marijuana (I don't know if that matters)

• Posted

The fact you have had blood in your spit and the doctor isn’t concerned, makes me doubt his judgment. I have multiple pulmonary emboli and I was told it just a bit of inflammation and panic attacks, doctors make mistakes all the time. I would get tested if I were you because if there is an issue with your lungs and you leave it, you could have serious even fatal consequences. If I would have listened to my doctors, I wouldn’t be alive.
    • Posted

appreciate the response, when I say blood, it was a very small amount of blood. I think they took it serious, since they did an xray.

It's not like I only asked one doctor about this, I asked another doctor (relative) and a friend(also a doctor) and none were that concerned considering it happened a few times and wasn't consistent and wasn't enough blood to be concerned about. I've also seen an ENT regarding this and they saw some dried blood in my nose and my gums bleed really easily, so I'm not sure.

I hear you tho, I'm gonna see my doctor again, and see whats next.

Thanks

• Posted

Just to let you know I had a chest X-ray and it was completely clear too. It only shows major damage. But if you have seen different doctors to confirm then fine. You are unlikely to have what I have anyway because it is usually caused by female hormones under a certain age. I was thinking you could of had a bit of pleurisy though.
    • Posted

I saw my doctor, he was touching my chest, and it felt tender (from my POV). He also see me making certain faces when he touched certain spots.

He says hes fairly sure its not my lungs or my heart (I usually have a normal blood pressure and can run over a mile just fine with no problems at all).

One thing I noticed if I touch the spots (like just gently touching the spot) on my chest that have discomfort, the pain goes away. Am I crazy sad ?

• Posted

Well that sounds like maybe he thinks it is musculoskeletal pain. Do you do a lot of exercise?
    • Posted

For 10 years I used to lift heavy weights and do cardio

But since Nov of last year I've stopped going hard in the gym. For the past month I've totally stopped lifting in general, only doing running.

I just figured taking some nsaid or taking a break would be fine, but I dunno. Heat or Ice make it feel fine, but if i take the heat or ice off, it comes back.

sad

• Posted

Have you thought about seeing a physiotherapist or maybe get a sports massage to see if it helps? If pressure to the pain makes the pain go away maybe that could help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.