chest pain on left side - is it anxiety?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello! So a couple of weeks ago I had my first ever panic attack. I've been dealing with a lot of stress the past couple of years and I'm generally a very anxious person. Anyway, for a few days after the 'attack', I felt as if my heart was going to beat out of my chest. I was checking my pulse every hour and could physically feel my heart beating. That went away after a few days and now for about a week, I've been having these awful pains in my chest on the left side. It started last Monday night when I was going to bed. It first hurt when I was breathing in - like a sharp pain. I woke up the next morning and the whole day was just awful. I was freaking out. All I could think about was my chest pain and wondering what was wrong with me. I kept thinking I was dying and getting so emotional about how people would handle it and just... freaking out. I've had varying types of pain since - sometimes it's a tightness, sometimes it's a sharp pain, sometimes it's lower and sometimes it's higher. I am so scared!! Anyone have the same thing?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Also.. RARELY I feel a little on the right side of my chest but it's only been a couple of times.
  • Posted

Hi Hun.I have exactly the same thing although it's now finally calming down I went to docs had ecgs blood work etc and was told it was anxiety or possibly costa (there's a separate forum on here for that it's worth a read as I think that's what mine was/is).I think the more we think about it low and behold the pains start try if your heart starts racing to focus on your deep breathing I also find colouring a really good distracter too please try not to worry have you been to see doc? Xx
    • Posted

Thank you, Emma! It's good to know I'm not alone. It can be frustrating sometimes trying to explain it to people who just say, "oh you're fine". I have an appointment with a doctor a week from tomorrow to do a routine checkup/physical and I will tell him about the pain then. Just really worried and the appointment seems so far away!
    • Posted

I promise your not alone! This site is so great for reassurance I'm so glad I found it everyone on here is great, the doctor will hopefully put your mind at rest, I take proprananol twice a day as I find my heart races at certain times and they have really helped me with my anxiety I do still get it but it's gradually getting under control now , you may have just simply pulled a muscle/have a knot they can cause all sorts of nasty pains too, just a tip but I found a hot water bottle really helped with my pains X
    • Posted

It's always amazing when people care so much about a stranger's problems. It really is a rare thing and I thank you so much for that! Sometimes I think the biggest cause of my anxiety is really just caring so deeply about everyone and everything. Thank you for the advice. I did look up costo, could be that! I know focusing all of my attention on it isn't helping, but it can be so hard. I am so glad you have found some relief and I am excited that I will too, some day!
    • Posted

I promise it will get better. I think the more we think about a certain pain or worry about something it brings on the symptoms another nasty anxiety thing :-( you will defo feel reassured speaking to your doctor mine was brilliant , another thing is deep breathing really helps too if you feel your heart racing, I close my eyes and think of a pretty beach and pretend I'm on it! After 10 mins or so I feel so much calmer. Or i would defo recommend colouring it's amazing how much it relaxes you haha x
    • Posted

Thank you!! I know this may sound silly, but are there any specific tests I should ask for at my appointment?
    • Posted

If it makes you feel better ask for a blood test and also while there they can listen to your heart and chest , check your blood pressure and I also asked them to check my breasts for me as had shooting pains in my left area and of course I got worried and all was fine I've also had an ecg done too , just explain how you have been feeling it will

All be ok! Pls keep us updated good luck!! X

• Posted

Im same constantly on edge chest pain back pain twitches dizziness headaches heart palps. Have it all .im constantly thinking im goin to die thinkin i have canceWouldnt wish it on anyone . Its horrible xx
    • Posted

Definitely good to have some support here! Good luck to you!
  • Posted

Emma offers some great advice there, I can tell you it actually works. I had the same pains a while ago, and deep breathing solved it. I also went to see a physiotherapist specialized in stress related symptoms (called a craniosacral therapist) and a yoga/breathing therpiast and they explained that the chest pain is caused by tension in the thorax and daphragm. It can be easily solved by doing breathing exercises, also the treatment did help a great deal (it's nice not to have to solve it al by yourself but get some actual physical support).

See if you can apply deep breathing yourself or find a practitioner who can help you out.

• Posted

Thank you so much! I have tried this a little but my mind has a hard time relaxing enough. I just need to set the time aside. I'm glad you found the help you needed!
    • Posted

You're welcome Christina, i know it's hard to do it on your own, because the mind is so busy, which is also exactly the problem! That's the reason why I strongly advice to seek some assistance, it really helps if someone looks over your shoulder and evaluates your progress together with you once a week.
  • Posted

Hi Kristi, hows it feeling now? Get any answers?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.