Chest pain radiating to neck

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm 17 y/o F. I've had chest pains on and off for years and put it down to costocondritis (doctor). However tonight and as I'm typing, I have left sided chest pain (localised to the middle but not in the middle of my chest) the pain is stabbing and tearing and doesn't come/go with breathing (which usually happens when its costocondritis with me) It also radiated up the left side of my neck. It hasnt gone to the other side, just staying in the same place. I also got quite clammy and sweaty with it. I know I'm not having a heart attack but could this just be down to costochondritis or what else? 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It's unlikely to be heart related due to the kind of pain you're experiencing. However in this particular case with the pain being different and also causing other side effect symptoms I advise to get this checked out immediately. Any kind of left side chest pain that isn't normal should be brought to a doctor's attention as fast as possible. If you feel breathless, a crushing pain or any form of weakness or tingling in your left arm call an ambulance. I am not trying to scare you I am just letting you know what to look out for.

The pain you describe sounds muscular related but please be precautions. If the condition deteriorates get your self to A&E.

Regards

Mark

• Posted

Thank you! It's eased now, but I'm still getting slight pain down arm! Thank you

• Posted

In the chest there are many nerve clusters and from the left pectoral to the back of the shoulder blade, these nerves (if damaged) can send signals to adjoining nerves, like your bicep for example. The pain will seem to shoot from the chest down the arm, scary but ultimately inconsequential. Try feeling around your chest and apply pressure here and there, if you feel a shoot of pain it will back up this theory. Please see my recent post here: https://patient.info/forums/discuss/heart-pain-or-just-pain-how-to-tell-the-difference-616178

It might help shine a bit of light on the situation.

Mark

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.