Chest pain -w hat testds to ask doctor for?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am going to see my doctor next week to ask about tests for chest pain. I also sometimes get out of breath after a bit of exercise.

I am a 52 year old male. The pain is on the left side of the chest, mainly.

I also get intemittent palitations. I am concerned as I have sleep apnoea and this greatly raises cardiovascular risk.

I have had an EKG already this year - all good. regular Echocarduioigrams over the kast 20 years wiht he last about two years ago.

What other tests could be done?

I just feel the pain is a sign that the heart muscle is labouring. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

What type of pain are you experiencing, is there anything that makes it better or worse?
  • Posted

Why have you been having the regular echocardiograms for  so long ?

• Posted

Do you have ankle swelling, or are you overweight, along with chest pain this could be worth your Dr having a second look.  ECG, echo, CT scan, angiogram, if echo shows enough areas to be concerned about.

What else could it be, do you have acid reflux, don't dismiss the possibility of silent reflux, that will also cause chest pain, do you ever get a nasty acid taste in the back of your throat, if so, weight is definatly an issue, and your food, consider items that will cause inflammation of you stomach lining, for me, NO NO's are coffee, chocolate, beef for dinner, garlic causes me big problems, even onions, even would you believe it cinnamon buns, I can eat but has to be early in the day, if I eat say after 12 noon, my night is a nightmare of pain and discomfort.

• Posted

Acute pain will right it self usually and leave you feeling supreme the mane thing to do is home excercises try some on a floor preferabaly concrete.
  • Posted

Thanks everyone for the replies. 

The Echos were because I had suspected Marfan Syndrome BUT I have had that ruled out by genetic testing. I may have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome Type III - I have had all the other seven types ruled out by genetic testing. 

I am pretty sure it is not acid reflux. It seems to be brought on by stress and gets better when stress abates.

It has only been a feature for the past six months or so, on such a regular basis. 

• Posted

PS I am not overweight and have no ankle swelling...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.