Chest pain, worried sick!

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hello

59yr old female, generally healthy other than Gastritis which I have Omeprazole for, and overweight but am losing weight. Walk upto 5 miles a day with the dog.

December 2020 went to A&E with palpitations and a little niggle where I can only describe as the curve where left breast meets sternum. ECG and bloods done - advised nothing to worry about. I had said I wasn't sure if the niggle was connected or if it was a bit of irritation - I sleep on right side and left arm across chest under chin so thought it may have "crushed" it. Saw GP as follow up, he said nothing to worry about.

Very occasionally during 2021 I got that little niggle, but thought nothing about it. November I developed an episode of gastritis which lasted for about 4 weeks, with lots of discomfort in the chest area, as well as nausea, but I was under no illusion it was gastritis as it was exactly the same pain I had when I was diagnosed, became very bloated under breasts, had to ditch the bra and return to vests for comfort! During that time I got an occasional "ooh" pain of possibly no more than 30 - 60 seconds, directly in the sternum between both breasts, not in the left or right side, dead central. I feels more like a very light pressure, not the pressure I would associate with heart problems. No shortness of breath or feeling dizzy or anything else. This was just an odd day here or there, but has now become very frequent this past 10 days or so, I find I am just rubbing my chest in that spot, and I can feel my heart beat if I touch that area. It doesn't go anywhere else.

Today we were on our walk with the dog, and I could feel it starting and getting more intense, again just in that same spot, then it subsided gradually.

I have to say it scared me a tad. I do have anxiety, and I am terrified of the doctor, definitely won't go to my local hospital (there is a serious reason for that). I don't think it is related to my gastritis. I don't know if it is just an anxiety issue. It is too late to pluck up courage to go to the GP today. I won't go to the local hospital over the weekend - I did wonder about paying privately to see a GP or cardiologist, but not sure you can refer yourself directly to a cardiologist??

Anybody had similar or can offer me any reassurance please?

many thanks in advance x

1 like, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.