chest pains

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced these unique symptoms with reflux. I do not get the common burning feeling like everyone else. I get chest pains and just strange pains in my chest that are hard to describe. Omeprazole does help but sometimes will still get the weird chest feelings. Unfortunately, I can't even describe them, just as an uncomfortable feeling in the chest. I have had all tests done under the sun and only diagnois is reflux. 

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

When you get the burn in your esophagus , often the muscles in your chest contract from the pain . The first time I experienced this I thought I was having a heart attack . 
  • Posted

Yes indeed. Not everyone who has reflux experiences the typical "burning." I told my GI that I had never experienced heartburn in my life. Yet I had damage/inflammation in my esophagus and throat due to reflux.

My chest would hurt as well, but not with burning. Rather sharp pains, dull aches, pressure and tightness. My neck would hurt, my back, my shoulder blades. Everything except "burning." My GI told me it was because the inflammation was affecting nerves.

So yes, it is 100% possible to have chest pain associated with reflux that is not heartburn.

Cheers smile

• Posted

Thank you for confirming. What do you do when you get these pains? I start to get anxiety thinking I'm having a heart attack. I just had an EKG last week and it was perfect.

• Posted

As it was due to inflammation of the esophagus, the only real remedy was to heal the esophagus. I was placed on Omeprazole 40/day until my esophagus healed. And it truly did improve. It takes time though. My GI told me it can take months to feel normal again.

• Posted

Hello. I also get chest pains. But I did with my gallbladder as well. I had it removed but still have reflux and also found out I have gastritis. I wish you the best. I hope with meds and changing my diet that I can heal all this. I’m sure you can too. 
  • Posted

I had the weirdest chest pain on and off for a year no burning either. 

Then I started getting burning mouth it's such a pain 

• Posted

Hi Julie, have you been to see a gastroenterologist? I had severe chest pains and DX with Barretts esophagus etc etc....
    • Posted

No not yet,  doctor said its burning mouth syndrome but I'm going back 

To see them next week. 

I've been to dentist and he's sending me to the hospital. 

My chest pain has gone but the burning at the top of my throat and mouth is still there I've been taking Omeprazole and it does help a bit 

• Posted

I have restarted rabezeprole .Burning tongue still continues. Let us know how u get on 
  • Posted

its a minor gas problem which will be resolved if you just start morning walk on regular basis
  • Posted

I just want to throw something into the mix here after reading all those posts . My husband is a type 2 diabetic , and I decided the only way to get his blood sugar under control was to go on the Ketogenic diet . I didn’t want him to have to do it alone , so we have been doing it together for about a month now . His blood sugar has been steadily improving , which was the whole purpose , but I never expected the reaction my body would have . I lost 5 pound the first week , 3 the following week , and since I cut out all sugar and carbs from my diet my reflux has almost completely disappeared. I’m not on any medication anymore . Some of my friends have been telling me about Keto , I have been reading everything I could get my hands on , and I’m now convinced it’s the  solution to most of my health problems . I noticed my skin clearing up , the pain in my joints is getting less and less , the list goes on and on . Maybe it’s something you should all try for a few weeks and see how your bodies react . I found a doctor on YouTube , Ken Berry , he has his own channel and educates people about Keto . He has been doing it for years , and explains it really well . Something well worth checking out .

• Posted

Gastroesophageal reflux disease develops as a result of gastrointestinal dysfunction leading to weakening of the lower esophageal sphincter tilt, which in normal conditions prevents the gastric contents from being shed into the esophagus. An additional influence on the development of this disease may have other factors such as, for example:

eating foods that lower the pressure of the lower esophageal sphincter (foods like chocolate, fat or fried dishes, mint drinking),

eating foods that irritate the mucous membrane of the esophagus (citrus fruits, spicy dishes),

a hernia of the esophageal diaphragm consisting in the invasion of the gastrointestinal part through the esophageal diaphragm,

smoking and alcohol abuse,

obesity,

pregnancy,

wearing tight clothing,

chest injuries,

taking medications that lower the pressure in the lower esophageal sphincter (theophylline, calcium channel blockers, alpha-blockers, anticholinergics, intrats).

This heartburn is the most typical symptom of gastroesophageal reflux disease. She suffers from her about 70-85 percent. patients. Many patients also suffer from acidity or bitterness in the mouth, bounce (usually acidic), painful swallowing, nausea and vomiting. Less common symptoms of reflux disease, which cause many diagnostic difficulties, are extra-oesophageal symptoms: pain in the chest or epigastrium suggestive of coronary pain, hoarseness, paroxysmal cough (nocturnal), bronchial hyperresponsiveness that results in bronchial asthma, sore throat and gingivitis.

Heartburn and pains usually increase after a meal, as well as in a lying position and last up to two hours. The patients feel a marked relief when taking a vertical posture or taking antacids. The most feared are chest pain associated with reflux, because it is often considered to be coronary or infarction pain. However, the pain of cardiac origin is caused by physical effort or emotions. However, in reflux disease, there is no such relationship between pain and physical activity.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.