Chest pains as a 16 year old, for a long period of time

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I'm a 16 year old male, i've been suffering from various chest pains for over a year now.

These chest pains are getting worse, but usually always change and never stay the same, usually located around my heart, rarely in the middle of the chest. I do sometimes have arm pain, but it's usually located in my wrist area and feels like the pain is in my veins, or nerves. I've noticed that what triggers it is anger and nervousness, but sometimes it happens randomly. Sometimes i experience out of blue panic with all these symptoms, e.g. when sitting in class, at home (usually home alone) etc. i've been to a doctor, and i'm waiting for an appointment, it's been almost 2 months, and i didnt recieve any date to come in for the chest scan they have promised. I've only been given medicine to keep my heart rate slowed down, and im almost out of that medicine. I can't tell if i'm having a heart attack's symptoms or is it just a panic attack, my GP told me it's most likely anxiety, but i dont believe so. I just feel like it's serious, i get twitches that seem to be in my heart, these are really scary. I'm writing this right after i have experienced a sudden fear and chest pains, i felt like i was dying, it seems to be gone now.

Can anxiety really be this bad? i've read various posts around anxiety and heart diseases, and i just can't tell which is it, and i know, most likely only the doctor can tell me that, and i'm just looking for reassurance here to make sure that i'm okay. Sometimes it seems to get better, and i can carry on with normal tasks, but then it comes back each time worse and worse.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Karolis561,

I would try to find a good, reputable cardiologist to go to so you can have proper tests done, such as an Echocardiogram. These symptoms should not be ignored and labeled "anxiety". I recently was extremely sick and having episodes that felt like anxiety and panic attacks- I had heart palpitations and chest pain also. I tried meditating, breathing exercises, nothing really helped. When I went to a cardiologist, they did an Echocardiogram and noticed there was a bit of fluid around my heart from a viral infection (it's called Pericarditis) I am taking medication now and on my way to recovery.

This may not be the case with you and I don't mean to scare you, but it is just an example that it's not always just anxiety, it can actually be something with your physical health (especially if you're not usually a person with anxiety or panic attacks). I am young also, 22. So please find a good cardiologist to go to that will actually listen to you !! I hope you get better soon, just stay positive and patient, you will figure it all out !

• Posted

Yeah, thank's for replying... im currently waiting on an appointment, trying to figure out where it is, called and well didnt rly get an answer. I just feel strange, feels like my heart struggles... after meals my chest sometimes hurts, or my heart beats strongly. Although i admit to worry a lot, and i'm telling A LOT. it's on my mind all the day, almost everyday... i just feel weak... like i can't do anything anymore without worrying that i'll colapse, yesterday i had a sharp pain that went through my chest, i couldnt pint point it, i jumped from my chair, and walked around my house... ahh i'll try to get to the doctors next week or atleast sort out the appointment. And i hope you get well too, and recover fully! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.