Chest Pains - EKG/Blood tests normal

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 23 y/o and have been getting very bad chest pains over the past couple of weeks. I have been to A&E and had an EKG and blood tests done and all came out fine, but they are really frightening. I am on Sertraline and Mirtazapine for my depression but have been on the same dose for almost a year so surely side effects couldn't start now?

Please can someone help, I am getting frightened waking up to chest pains in the night.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The fact that the ekg and blood tests came back ok is a positive sign. You should take some comfort in that at the very least. I myself have been having bad symptoms, chest pain, arm pain, nausea etc. And pike you the tests have come back ok.

Could you describe the chest pain? Sharp, dull, centre of chest, left/right, is it deep, can you replicate the pain when moving or breathing, can you replicate the pain when pressing on your ribs or sternum etc.

• Posted

its a sharp twisted feeling in the centre of my chest. It isn't effected by moving or breathing and nope, i can't replicate the pain, nor can i stop it once its started.

• Posted

Ok, unfortunately I am unfamiliar with the medication you are on so I'm unsure of the side effects. You're a healthy age and the tests you have had are positive signs, it could very well be anxiety or stress.

I feel your pain and I understand how frightening it can be. Book an appointment with your doctor - I've found due to the nature of a&e they're more often than not looking to get rid of you asap. The doctor will spend more time with you. Speak to them and if you're not satisfied then tell them and say you want further tests done to get to the root cause, don't be afraid - this is important to you.

I know it's much easier said then done but for the interim try to relax but also keep your mind busy. Things like watching tv is the worst for me, my mind is not occupied enough and I begin to drift off and think about my chest and how I feel etc. And it's a complete downward spiral. I find keeping my brain active like playing a game works much better.

Good luck and stay positive! You're not alone!

• Posted

Could you have GORD? a cardilogist told me that symptoms of heart disease and GORD are very similar . I had all the tests done for heart and cardiovasular disease(including doppler scan)  and apart from a mildly regurgitating mitral valve (without symptons) everything came back clear.

​endoscopy showed i have GORD (reflux)  and intense chest pains coming from that so am managing that before pains become too intense.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.