Chest Pains & Shortness of Breath when Trying to Stop Amlodipine

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi everyone, not sure how active this forum is anymore but hoping someone can help or even just reassure me. I started taking Amlo the 2nd week in Dec, 5 mg. I didnt have any side effects, in fact felt good. Honestly probably didnt really need it but my BP spiked after taking a diet supplement. I was referred to a cardiologist to make sure my heart was ok. He took me off Amlo and gave me Metoprolol. This was awful, had horribe side effects and went back a week later to tell him I couldnt take it. I tapered down some and back to Amlo. Its been a nightmare! I have awful heartburn, which Ive never had issues with, blurry vision, insomnia, left shoulder pain, sometimes chest pain, weakness and just feel awful. I called my GP as I couldnt take the heartburn, she decreased the dose to 2.5 mg and gave me Prilosec. It helps some but I just want off this med! My echo and stress tests came back fine and my BP has been normal, usually below 120/80. I take Magnesium and beet root powder in hibiscus tea. Each time I try to not take Amlo, I get bad chest pains/tightness and am forced to take it out of fear. It goes away as soon as I take it. I cut the pill in half and have been taking the half for a few days. Tried today not to take it after having the worst heartburn all weekend, and I became out of breath from simply talking on the phone. I took the half which would be 1.25 mg and almost immediately felt better. I know this is withdrawal but has anyone dealt with these symptoms and how did you wean and not be terrified you would have a heartattack? I was only on this poison for a month, give or take a few days. Of course I could also have some residual effects of Metoprolol too. Having chest pains and shortness of breath from withdrawal is so scary but I know I have to get off of this! Trying to taper a bit longer but not too confident that the longer I draw it out, the easier it will be. Im so upset I cry almost everyday because I do not feel healthy and as a woman in my 40s who never gets sick or has aches and pains, this has been my worst nightmare!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.