Chest Pan, Nausea, Indigestion after Endoscopy and Colonoscopy

Posted , 2 users are following.

chest pain, burning, acid reflux, indigestion, nausea

all these started after my endoscopy (they took biopsies) and colonoscopy 5 days ago and still going. keeping to non acidic and most liquids. wondering when this will go away. doctor said to give it some time.

any thoughts?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

What were the results of your endoscopy? I had an endoscopy last year, where I was told I had gastritis, oesophagitis and a hiatus hernia. I normally take ppis every day but stopped before the procedure so when the scope went down it was quite uncomfortable for a while after. My neck felt weird for a few days and I had a feeling like my oesophagus was bruised and eating and drinking hot drinks was extremely painful for a quite a few days after. I had reflux and indigestion and burping really hurt. I took esomeprazole, ranitidine and gavisv0n for a week until it calmed down a bit, then just the esomeprazole after that. You start to feel normal again after a couple of weeks. The scope irritated my inflammation I think.

• Posted

Results are all good. Just small/mild inflammations in the stomach. No infections or anything serious. Coping through these after-effects is really tough though, haven't had such intense reflux, indigestion, chest pain/discomfort and burping issues before. At times it feels like I can't digest anything even water. They did take biopsies from the oesophagus, stomach and small bowel, maybe that's what triggered it. All came on after the procedures. I've just started trying Carafate for it as my body doesn't tolerate esomeprazole really well. Do you think just the Carafate will help settle things, or I'll need esomeprazole to speeden it up? Do you have any side effects from esomeprazole. Anything else you recommend to speeden this up. Did you feel completely normal after 2 weeks? I'm into my 9th day and still feel like i've got a long way to go. I've got travel plans in a week's time and am getting this feeling I might need to postpone or cancel them. Thanks for your help.

• Posted

I have not heard of carafate so I couldn't give an opinion on it. Have you tried gavisc0n double action? It can help a lot. I have a couple of side effects from esomeprazole, it gives me IBS and gives me bruxism (jaw clenching, teeth grinding). It works the best out of all the ppis for me, but if you take ppis it is very important to take vitamin and mineral supplements as it can stop you absorbing them so well which can lead to serious health problems. I was vitamin d and b12 deficient from them and was getting horrible effects from that. You could ask to try another ppi like omeprazole. I felt pretty much back to normal after 2 weeks, but I was taking double dose esomeprazole, ranitidine and gaviscpn.

• Posted

Thanks for your help. Also wanted to know, did you continue all those three meds after getting back to normal and if yes, for how long more.

Thanks.

• Posted

After a week I only took regular dose esomeprazole 20mg and I stopped the ranitidine but had gavisc0n when here and there when I needed. Which is what I have been taking since, although I am trying to cut down the esomeprazole at the moment I don't want to have to take it every day any more. I am getting more indigestion and heartburn as a result though. I just have to be more careful what I eat and drink now which will be better for my waistline as well!

• Posted

For How long had you been on the esomeprazole before your procedure? Funny thing is I had very very mild issues and wasnt on any medication. The procedure flared up everything and now im on regular medication. Kind of annoyed that i may have to stick to the meds for a long time.

• Posted

I had been on ppis for years, I was on lanzoprazole for the longest but it stopped working as well so I tried omeprazole for a short while and then I switched to esomeprazole about a few months before the scope.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.