Chest stiffness

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I have just been diagnosed with AS after having had an MRI. The scan didn't show any active inflammation but showed there had been some in the right SI joint with some osteoporosis on the thoracolumbar area of the spine. Today the doctor at the hospital did some different measurements and said I had limited movement and stiffness in my chest, neck and hips. How does this happen, particularly in my chest, when the MRI doesn't show it ever having been inflamed?

Many thanks smile

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

J have similar condition but my osteoarthritis is very pronounced in back and especially neck. AS is only in my left sacral joint which is partially fused. Curious bout your blood lab for crpand sedrate. Physical therapy helped neck stiffness only little for back.
  • Posted

MRI show few basic thinks this is blood disorder that we have your reumatologist should have done CRP CRS full blood count blood tests , MRI take photos only , treat your blood instead of looking for the damage the disorder do , it is good on the forum to ask my advise to you ask your reumatologist who treating you for this disorder , and take something , for example i have done few crowns on my teeth , i notice now the nerve have been affected so i need to act in an emergency way to visit the dentist to restore the problem instead of asking here the so and so , ask your reumatologist for this , how you treat the AS ? How you know you have AS ? It is inflamation with HLAB27 , do you have this disorder ? MRI is magnetic field to see any tumor damage etc no to see the blood within , this disorder is very serious genetic disorder , i have this for long i no relay on any MRI to treat it i ask the profesionals , go and ask your doctor to treat you show him the MRI , but ask for blood tests LFT CRP CSR if those are high then ask the doctor , i use biological medication plus some others this disorder require multiple treatment , can attack the electrical part of tve heart the rib cage , in upper middle low back eyes anywhere out of the blue , your immune attacking you , what the MRI will do ? You need to control this , treat your body like temple , act fast , in reality they do not know this genetic disorder well , they keep study , many people have this in my case attack me 24 years old now i am 61 , i have suffer all those years until they found the biological medications , if you have HLAB27 with inflamation together ? To my opinion this disorder require many things change diet exercise the correct medication , if you have AS methotraxate and the rest will do no much , go and talk to your doctor reumatologist do few blood tests , and decide if you no put this under control it will be attack from within yourself without know , last month i found hard to breath my rib cage was terrible after the injection of the ENBREL the animal stop turn on me , that is how i call this disorder the animal within , run on families , xray mri etc is good for pictures , this disorder require your constant attention with your doctor , remember everyone is different so the blood type , i never ask anyone i call tge doctor and do blood tests to investigate how bad is in my case recently attack the prostate cause enlargment , on PSA , he can do anything this because is our blood and life is within the blood , many refuse treatment , reading or asking , my advise to you go and see reumatologist and do some blood tests to determine your situation what exact you have ? All the best just make some action longer you leave it , can atgacl anywhere i stop the medication for 3 months and i become very sick , i start again and the animal within stop turning on me , remicade is good medication in my case i use Enbrel i no want to suppress the immune to much also i do give a brake , under advise of the doctor , sad to have this disorder there is no cure from this disorder only control it , take good care 
  • Posted

It’s callled costochronditis. It’s an inflammation of the joints where your ribs meet your breastbone.  I get it all the time and it sucks.  It feels almost like heartburn and your chest feels heavy.  I complain about it to the doctors but theres not much to do.  You can take aspirin for the pain or put an ice pack on your chest for 20 minutes.  Physical therapy helps.  My physical therapist literally grabs understand rib cage to create movement.  Practice diaphragmatic breathing.  It helps to keep movement in this area. 
    • Posted

Inflammation I have that as ESR CRP high I do suffer from AS plus joints since 24 years old now I am 61 I am health fanatic but for inflammation what cause it in your case ? In my case is the immune system call it HLAB27 gene positive, sorry for your health issues I see reumatologist and professor of immunology for my complex case , everyone is different just try some swimming exercise walk is good if your blood is inflame like fire within ask the reumatologist why that occurred or your doctor they should know , ? None of us know I was no know back 1984 when my eyes was red painful etc my back very bad doctors they do not know then predisolone they say no they use TNF blockers, but try to Found camfort and a plan B for control the inflammation certain foods make the inflammation worse , what we can do just try 
    • Posted

Hey, thanks for your response. I never had that mentioned to me. So would that explain why for a couple of years it has been tender when they have pressed the area at the bottom of my sternum whenever they have examined me? (I have ongoing problems as a result of Ulcerative Colitis so am frequently being examined!) Also, why would it not have shown up on my MRI if it had previously been inflamed?
    • Posted

Hey, thanks for your responses. I too and positive for the HLA-B27 gene but also suffered from Ulcerative Colitis, an auto immune bowel condition.
    • Posted

You may have IBS irritable bowel syndrome same as I do have , all start from the immune system the white cells of the blood assuming is wrong place and attack wrong guidance or genes it is blood disorder they may no tell you most look elsewhere, the root is for all arthritis AS IBS inflammation etc rib cage hard stiffness etc all related to immune disorders , many do many tests and spend lots of money , the two tests is ESR CRP and if the person is positive on HLAB27, if yes it is autoimmune disorder the source , I have this since 1984 when I was 24 attack young males mostly thus woman is well , it is no cure bad disorder I call it the animal within or the beast like a dog who turn on the owner the blood who made to protect us turn on us that is what is this case , last 3 months I stop the ENBREL Etanacept I was injecting I get very sick I was no able to breath back middle rib cage terrible bellow back is well I do remedial massage with a friend chinese doctor Plus accupanture help temporary, i start the injection again and the animal stop on the spot strange staff and is no pshycological issue , like placebo , the TNF blockers do work but the Person need to find the right one for him or her I try HUMIRA this one do nothing to me some using Remicade as popular the rest sulphazaline Celebrex etc corticosteroids etc all I use some times I do use little the immune can attack the electrical part of the heart cause AF can attack anywhere without notice that is life our job is to look ourselves with the reumatologist but If infection exist or cancer the TNF blocker no to be used 
    • Posted

Swimming helps lots because gravity is no exist in the water you are lighter and also you can move all your muscles, if hot water pool exist even better , walk is good and some breathing exercises ask the reumatologist what can be done to control this , ask if anything exist to help if is autoimmune disorder who cause this , they do know , control is cure take good care of yourself and be positive 
    • Posted

Ask the reumatologist he or she what medication is suitable for you each one of us is different how we react to different medications, IBS is also cause by inflammation, i found sulphazaline direct release helps on me no the slow release 500 mg twice some doctors do give HUMIRA for that but unless the person they no possile to know , I try the HUMIRA no help me much I try the Enbrel 50 since 2012 this one works for

Me but I do use sulphazaline plus some Celebrex 100 from time to time for the AS and pheripheral joints but ask your doctor is a wise decision to ask found one who care for you take care certain foods also may aggravate the situation take good care 

• Posted

You can’t rely on MRI’s.  I have had them show zero inflammation and it looks like I’m fine while my symptoms are telling me otherwise.  My hips and pelvis are very problematic for me but my MRI shows no issues. As of now, I only know how to manage it.  I’m currently taking Enbrel which seems to help with chest/rib inflammation.  However, I’m starting to learn that the meds cover some but not all symptoms. On Enbrel my back and TMJ and upper body have some relief; however my hands and wrists are acting up.   You need a good rheumatologist or someone that works within the arthritis/autoimmunity field.  I have excellent insurance and I’ve had to pay out of pocket for the good doctors in NYC.  Research your doctors and make sure they are helping you to understand what’s going on and giving you the right medication. What medication are you on?
    • Posted

Is a blood disorder Friend MRI no show ESR CRP will show plus full blood count ask your doctor to do so . HLAB27 ams inflammation equals AS NO CURE FOR THIS I use sparingly ENBREL DOES WORK with caution sulphazaline may work little

Or Remicade ask your doctor, certain foods may Help but the immune will attack when he like without notice , it is bad disorder 

• Posted

My doctor has done every blood test imaginable and I have altered my diet and now follow a vegan gluten free diet.  Enbrel and methotrexate help as well as my IVIG infusions.  I feel as if nothing will ever make me 100% again and I will have to learn to cope with the left over pain and fatigue that medication doesn’t cover.
    • Posted

Enbrel 50 alone will do the job no methotraxate, is no work on the spine , normally AS fused the spine as a bamboo like my own and then go upwards your white cells attack you lemphosites , the immune view you as foregh antibody and start a war within , there is no cure I suggest no use methotrexate use Enbrel sulphazaline amd Celebrex may help combine , methotraxate is very toxic , and no work in the spine , avoid the cocktail , exercise may help walking swimming etc and good direct no alcohol, no you no be 100% again from this disorder same way as I am learn to leave with the beast within who turn on you , that is that inherited blood disorder , regards 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.