Chest tightness

Posted , 2 users are following.

I recently returned to the US from living and traveling in Southeast Asia for the past 8 months.  I saw several doctors while I was in both Thailand and Japan as I have been experiencing a mild (dull) but constant chest pain/tightness.  

I was previously told that I had GERD by multiple doctors and was given prescriptions to take for this - I was taking PPI's (Omezaprole) for about 10 days and Gaviscon liquid, Air X tabs, though I was never actually tested for it.  It didn't seem to help or change things much for those 10 days.  Now I haven't been experiencing heartburn so much, but I feel this tightness in my chest mostly on the right side but sometimes it moves to the left.  It almost feels like it is a muscular pain (could this still be reflux?) - and I have felt a sore back/arm as well (comes and goes).  My throat was feeling much better, but now I am starting to feel wheezy and have a mild dry coughagain.  I feel a cracking in my chest and throat sometimes when I breathe as well.

I experience the chest feeling constantly throughout the day.  It's not painful really, but its generally just there.  I have not experienced any breathlessness.  I was sick with a bacterial infection previous to this which lasted 2 weeks before finally going away so I thought that could have been related.  I have had a chest X-ray and my breathing tested - doc said it is fine, ECG was also fine.  

Does this still seem like it is GERD?  It feels like something else, though I do have many of the symptoms of GERD.  If so, I don't understand why the medication has not really helped it, and I feel it not due to eating but throughout the day.  I just returned from traveling and I'm recovering from jet lag.  I felt like it was getting better, but after the plane ride and not getting enough sleep things seem to be getting worse again.  

I'm 23 y/o female and I'm generally very healthy - don't get sick much or have many health problems generally so this has gotten me very anxious and has consumed my thoughts recently.  I have wondered if the anxiety of it has made me feel things are worse.  It just generally feels like a consistent pressure and things aren't really getting worse, but they are not improving. I am waiting for my health insurance plan, so I can't see a doctor yet but I was wondering if these symptoms seem normal for this condition or if anyone has any other input. 

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi there sorry your unwell but firstly PPI medication will not work that quickly it take at least six weeks or more to heal your body and yes anxiety will make it worse or even be the corse of th problem I would try the meds again and be careful of what your eating no spicy foods coffee chocolate high fat foods alcohol fizzy drinks don't say after 8pm I'm sure if you do all this you will see a difference also try to relax because it really make it worse

• Posted

Eat after 8pm that should say

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.