Chest tightness/breathing

Posted , 5 users are following.

Im 5.5 weeks in on 10mg citalopram and over the last few days my chest/left side has been a little tighter than usual and when i take a deep breathe in i get a little pain what feels like its under my rib cage. Is this normal? Is it a side effect at this stage? I went to the GP today and he didnt seem too concerned put it down to anxiety...

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi lauren. I'm 9 weeks on 20mg citalopram and had these feelings the last few weeks. every day.i also went to the doctors as I was worried it was heart related as I suffer really bad health anxiety.i had an EGC done and they also put it down to anxiety. it's all the physical symptoms that are so hard to deal with. I keep telling myself if it was serious I would be really unwell. x

• Posted

thanks for the reply louise! i have terrible health anxiety too so side effects arent helping me at all. Have you always been on 20mg? Have your side effects started to ease yet? Its so debilitating isnt it. X

• Posted

it's awful isnt it! I would say the last 8 9 months have been awful. I just started getting obsessed that something was wrong with me. and that I was going to die. I'm only 29 and would consider myself healthy too. I've had so many panic attacks and ended up at the hospital and everything has always came back fine.

yeah I started 20mg citalopram just about 9 weeks ago. most of the side effects are gone now but only just in the last 2 weeks I would day. but the anxiety is very much still there. especially in the morning and eases as the day goes on. x

• Posted

Hi Louise I suffer from terrible health anxiety too and constantly worry about my moles and recently feeling for lumps etc. Ive only been on this medication for 17 days (20mg) and have experienced lots of side efffects such as sore burning skin, headaches, discomfort and twinges in my body, jaw pain and a constant painful stiff neck which just makes my health anxiety even worse, ive even had strange irrational thoughts that something is wrong with my skull. Glad to hear that your side effects have pretty much gone now, that gives me hope

• Posted

hi Graham. I honestly thought the side effects were never going! please give it time. I am far from being 100% but I do feel better so these tablets are doing something. I've read so much on this page and some people say that it can take months. the first 5 weeks for me were awful I could hardly function to get through the day. my whole body ached. the headaches and what felt like my whole body was burning. stick with them. honestly the first 5/6 weeks were horrendous. some days I didn't even feel attached to my own body! but I am having more good days. the anxiety is still very much these hut it's so much less!

• Posted

Thanks Louise the aches and pains are really frustrating as they only serve to increase my health anxiety and like you i have noticed that my anxiety seems to have increased since starting these meds. Im just trying to push through with the thought that as each week goes on I should start to feel better.

I dont have the burning or sore skin sensation all over its mainly the side of my neck and occasionally my arm, ive also had some itching on my back and legs which causes my anxiety about my moles to increase plus and pain or twinges I get makes me want to feel for lumps etc. Hopefully all this will soon pass

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.