CHEST TIGHTNESS/DIZZINESS/ARM WEAKNESS/THROAT TIGHTNESS/TROUBLE BREATHING

Posted , 3 users are following.

Symptoms: CHEST TIGHTNESS/HEAVINESS AND RADIATES TO THE BACK. ARM MUSCLE WEAKNESS/HEAVINESS. DIZZINESS AND TROUBLE INHALING AND EXHALING OUT PROPERLY. Feeling of suffocation and feeling of THROAT OBSTRUCTION WITH TROUBLE SWALLOWING. 

TIME FRAME: 11 weeks. Symptoms last all day long and night and do not get relived by rest. 

TESTS DONE: DEEP BLOOD WORK, CHEST X RAY/CAT SCAN OF BRAIN TO ABDOMEN. ENDOSCOPY/EKG/ECHOCARDIOGRAM/BARIUM SWALLOW. ALL NORMAL. 

Lung function test results were poor. Apparently I’m only blowing a 1/3 of air and I’m supposed to be inhaling and exhaling 3 times that. Pulmonologist is not sure what is going on with me since I have no clear signs of lung disease but apparent respiratory muscle weakness and airway constriction. I have an ENT APPOINTMENT on Thursday to get my nose/throat scoped and a deeper swallowing exam . Any ideas or exams I should ask for besides the ones named above? IM DESPERATE PLEASE HELP! I forgot to mention that my diaphragm feels numb as if it were paralyzed. Pulmonologist gave me an asthma bronchilador to see if it could possible be asthma. Today I took it but it didn’t help. The most ironic part is that the symptoms are ALL DAY LONG with no relief what so ever. Symptoms were not as bad the first month. They have progressively gotten worse. PLEASE HELP WITH POSSIBLE IDEAS OR EXAMS I CAN GET DONE OR EVEN OPINIONS ON WHAT IT COULD BE. I’m 20 years old. I have tried anxiety medication and have been very calm through all this so please don’t comment if you think it’s anxiety. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Was the CT scan of your lungs with contrat? There is another lung scan called a VQ scan that looks at your lungs which I think maybe more accurate. I hope you find out the problem soon it must be really scary.
    • Posted

Yes with contrast! I’m afraid of a delayed diagnosis since breathing is very hard. If there was any throat or upper airway obstruction would it cause me chest tightness? What other exams should I get done? 
    • Posted

Should I get a D-Dimer blood test? To check for blood clot in lungs.
    • Posted

The only way it could be clots if they didn’t show up on the CTPA is if they are micro clots, that is what the VQ scan can tell. I would definitely ask for a d-dimer blood test and if it comes back positive get a VQ. Are you having palpitations? Or were you before you were on the anxiety medication? Also do you know if your blood pressure is high or the higher end of normal?
    • Posted

My blood pressure is on the lower side. I lost 34 pounds since it’s hard to swallow because of the severe pressure and suffocation feeling. I feel like I’m chocking so eating makes it worse. No palpitations. I’m not on anxiety medication anymore. 
    • Posted

I’ve been so calm through this journey. However I am disappointed that I am feeling this terrible with no help. 
    • Posted

If you aren’t having palpitations and your CT was clear, it is very unlikely to be pulmonary emboli. 

I am so sorry you are going through this. I know how you feel because I was very ill for ages before I was diagnosed with PEs. I ended up not being able to go out and being really isolated, it really annoys me that nobody thought to test me when my symptoms were so obvious.

Your symptoms are much more complex though. Do you have a good health service where you are? Hopefully better than here in the UK! It sounds like you are getting thorough testing and I am sure they will find out what is wrong soon.

Have you seen a neurologist? 

• Posted

No but I was referred to a neurologist as well. I’ll be seeing and ENT tomorrow, and then a neurologist in 2 weeks. The most ironic part is all the symptoms came together in the moment. Pulmonologist prescribed beonchilador but he isn’t sure its asthma he wants me to try for 3 weeks and if it does not work then we’ll go from there. 
    • Posted

Well all the best and I wish you well. Will you post an update when you find out what is wrong? I really hope it is something easily treated so you can go back to normal as soon as possible. Good luck.
    • Posted

HI MY D-DIMER BLOOD TEST CAME OUT POSITIVE/ELEVATED BUT THE CT ANGIOGRAM WAS CLEAR! ANY IDEAS?

• Posted

There is a VQ scan which may pick something up that a CT might not. Have you seen the neurologist yet? I take it the ENT appointment didn't come up with anything.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.